Swan Toaster

We've just bought a high lift 4 slice Swan toaster - based on reading an earlier thread about problems with 2 slice toasters, not accepting a full UK slice. Yep had this problem for years :-(

Dropping the slices in sideways, works fine, as does the high lift to chuck them back out, but the instruction are pathetic....

Three buttons marked with symbols (hyroglyphs) and a dial for time. Left to right they are defrost frozen bread, cancel, then the third button which we don't understand the use of. The symbol is rather like a sheet of paper which has partially gone through a document shredder and been pulled back out. A shredder which shreds vertically, with the shredded fingers of paper torn of different lengths.

I'm fairly confident it is just a toaster, rather than combined toaster /shredder, but what is the third button for. Each button has a warning light below it, Cancel light up as soon as you start it, defrost and the mystery buttons light up when pressed whilst toasting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost? sometimes handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Reply to
Andy Burns

First hit, googling "Swan Toaster buttons"

Find great deals on eBay for Swan 4 Slice Toaster in Toasters. ...

4 slice capacity, 1600w power, defrost / reheat / mid cycle cancel buttons, variable browning ...

Looks like its reheat.

michael adams

michael adams

It's called a "reheat" button on our toaster.

Reply to
charles

on 02/01/2015, Andy Burns supposed :

Could well be, nothing is clear. So it adjusts the timer? Is it a timer, rather than a bi-metal strip trip? Guess it must be, it only latches down when the power is on.

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its the red one, on ebay.

It was an impulse purchase, saw it cheap so grabbed one as it seemed cheap and we needed a replacement anyway. 50% of those ebay prices.

Reheat it is then - time to get the labelling machine out ;-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Afterburner?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

English is a worldwide language, understood by many. No one understands weird symbols made up for the one occasion.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

how about RTFM?

Reply to
charles

Perhaps it's to enable the Swan to shorten it's take-off roll when it sees the toaster coming towards it ...?

Reply to
<no_spam

is that the same as afterburn?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ITYF INITFM

HTH

michael adams

michael adams

Heat-proof labels?

Reply to
GB

No use if the item is being sold in the UK, as 3/4 of the population don't speak english :)

Reply to
Gazz

Maybe its for toasting Swans? Hides behind sofa. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Normally there is an emergency release button too, in case the toast catches fire. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think they just call that "cancel" so as not to alarm people!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thiought only the Queen was allowed to toast swans?

Reply to
Dave Baker

No, thermal printed labels. Hopefully they will last until we get the button functions committed to memory :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reheat (afterburner) Ejector seat...

Are you sure this is a toaster?