OT: It's not all doom and gloom!

> The number of EU residents in the UK has slumped, new figures published today reveal.

More good news:

At the same time, the proportion of non-EU-born residents rose from
65% to 75%.

It was about time to replace those unruly, ungodly white Christian immigrants with good mannered immigrants from various religions of peace.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

That could be decreased substantially by introducing identity cards and national service.

Reply to
Smolley

But that would racist! This only happens in ungodly... Europe.

Labour wanted to introduce ID cards in 2002 but Theresa dropped the project in 2010.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

But now you need a photo driving licence, passport or an identify document issued by the local council if you want to vote in person at a polling station in the UK. It's now harder open a bank account without official photo ID (unless you are a drug dealer with a large sum of money to launder).

Reply to
alan_m

So anywhere that someone might reasonably ask you to prove who you are. But notice that the state is involved in none of these (except crossng borders, and even then you have an exemption if you've landed from a small boat and look scruffy).

Reply to
Tim Streater

How is this good news. We need lots of Doctors at the moment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm pretty sure the state is involved in demanding photo ID in order to vote. I also suspect that Banks now demand stringent forms of identification - in response to regulations placed upon them by...

P.S. Can I get a false identity as a drug dealer? If they really can open a bank account without any hassle, it might come in handy.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

ID or not for voting is a constitutional matter, along with the other conditions imposed by the various Representation of the People Acts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I doubt if any of the UK money laundering legislation has made any difference to the money from the proceeds of crime being sanitised through the system.

Reply to
alan_m

The purpose was to make proceeds taxable. Like operating a cash based take-away where the profits are taxed and hence legitimised.

Reply to
Fredxx

I know nothing of the facts, but if the total number of all residents has decreased because the EU ones have left, of course the proportion of non-EU-born as a fraction of the remaining residents will be greater.

Reply to
Dave W

Our next door neighbours (she's Irish, he's German) are still here.

Reply to
charles

No. it simply forced me ultimately to close my business bank account since the heavy handed treatment of the account ultimately rendered it unusable. Anything the government touches turns to shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bet it has, if only because it has seen the money laundered in other countrys instead of the UK.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'm still surprised that in the 90s or so a bank could happily pay out £10M in cash to reps of a tuppenny-ha'penny local business without being obliged to report it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But the crime for obtaining that money is still in the UK!

Reply to
alan_m

Cash only based businesses can pay cash in hand - nothing through the books and only a small stream of money through the bank. The stupid are usually caught by putting all their expenditure through the books to offset their income through the books. Claim to spend on a ton of potatoes but then claim to have only sold 10 portions of chips in the same time period :) There used to be a take-away near me that only put every other transaction through the till.

Reply to
alan_m

no doubt thieving black B######s

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

That crime can never be eliminated or even reduced.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Whereas the private water companies avoid touching shit because its easier to chuck it into a nearby watercourse or out to sea

Reply to
Andrew