OT ish Wireless Routers

As part of an internal reorganization at Handyman Towers, my PC is being moved upstairs.

Currently our Broadband is wired to the rear right hand corner of the dining room with a wired router connecting to SWMBO's PC in the left hand corner. The dining room is at the rear RH side of the property.

The planned location for my PC is upstairs at the front LH side (all as viewed from the front). SWMBO's PC is staying where it is.

So, it seems like I need to replace the wired router with a wireless one.

Last time I tried this was about 7 years ago & it was hopeless. I was using a laptop at the time & a Belkin wireless router - I had to go, halfway down the stairs to get any signal.

Could this be (a) something to do with a steel RSJ in the wall between the lounge & diner? Or (b) was it a crap router?

Are they better now? Could anyone suggest a make & model?

Failing that, a temporary very long cable would work, but how long can you get them (& what are they called)?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The two options are Wi-Fi and powerline networking. As the router and PC will be diagonally opposite across the building so Wi-Fi may be difficult, although the technology is significantly better than it was. If you have any radio hams in the area powerline networking will make you unpopular.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

It was a Belkin one, ergo it was crap.

Frankly, I'd put in permanent ethernet cable. Leave the router where it is and run an ethernet cable upstairs. Much more reliable, secure and faster than wireless.

Huge

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

CAT 5 cables easy to DIY..

Wireless is more often than not interfered with by other users..

Install a cable, you will not regret it . We put in a 24 port patchbay and switch here and its been excellent .. wireless is used for one PC and its not that clever..

If you can't install the cable best to get a man in who can;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I bought a laptop 6 months ago and couldn't get a reliable wireless signal upstairs. Powerline networking completely solved the problem. Only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

I use a couple of Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapters with Filter. Cheap as chips on Ebay.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan

You don't say what the ouputs are and how many your router has... It might be USB and single output or it might have built in four port LAN switch, that will use RJ45 connectors for each port.

Assuming it has a built in switch you need "ethernet" or "network" cables. Maximum length is 305m for a single segment (router to PC). Though you won't find ready made cables of that length you should be able to find up to 50m without too much bother. Shouldn't have to pay more than =A330 for a 50 (fifty)m one, be aware that you can pay =A330 for a 5 (five)m one from the likes of PC World...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And cheaper.

Powerline networking is going to be around =A375 for a set. Decent WiFi ADSL router about =A350 or more. You can get cheap ethernet based WiFi Access Points for =A320ish but as TMH has tried WiFi before with poor results it could be =A320 down the drain.

A =A320 to =A330 50m ethernet cable will just work, with non of the variablities and risk of WiFi. The down side is installation, up to the loft, across, and back down?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My wireless router is in the cellar and works all over the house. Next door too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

good to be true!

Reply to
Mike Clarke

The thought had crossed my mind.

Reply to
Huge

That is *very* cheap. I'd avoid. Bulk cable is about 25p/m retail so a 30m cable should be about a tenner by the time you added terminations, transport and packaging costs etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I just installed a 20m one to feed my Humax box, It cost me £5.74 including next day delivery. Dead easy to install if you can drill holes and hammer in cable clips. I ran it externally and it works perfectly.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

IIRC you have been with Blueyonder/Virgin Media a long time, and so would have been entitled to a *free* wireless router at various times. I think they are currently charging customers for them (see

but if you have Virgin phone it'd only cost the price of navigating their phone menus to ask if as a loyal customer (or since this is Virgin Media, much milked cash cow) you can have one for free.

FWIW I agree with all those who have urged Ethernet as the reliable/fast/secure solution but we have a (free from BY) wireless router and find it useful from time to time for visitors or for the times one wants to use a laptop in the loft, garden, car, ..... It hangs off another router and is switched off the rest of the time.

Reply to
Robin

My Linksys (Cisco) WRT54GL router works everywhere in a very large house. I don't understand this passion for Ethernet. I suppose drilling holes in the ceiling and that sort of thing appeals to DIY people.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

TNPS advice to people about to go wireless:

"Don't."

Run a cat 5 cable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It gets through walls lined with foil backed plasterboard. It doesn't put RF trash on the mains where its liable to upset many things including ADSL routers. Its a reliable 100Mbps link. You get your own wire..shared with no one.

No, but rock solid 100Mbps performance does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sound like complete nonsense to me. To start with, 90% of ADSL modem/routers have WiFi output nowadays. How come they don't upset themselves?

Do you have 100Mb/s ADSL input?

Don't you ever want to use your laptop in the bedroom, in the loo, in the garden ...?

Do you have the same feeling about mobile phones?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

You got 100Mbps internet then?

Reply to
AnthonyL

O dear!, you really need to learn a bit more about RF and radio;!....

This is some very good info re power line devices which might be of interest...

tony sayer

I used Belkin and gave up and changed to hard wired from a non-wireless adaptor.

Then I moved a PC upstairs and tried a powerline ethernet adaptor. Gave up.

Then I got a shiny new Netgear wireless router which usually connects at in excess of 80Mbps despite the PC being diametrically opposite the router and one floor up.

Having said the above if an ethernet cable could be run sensibly that is the way I would have gone.

If you go wireless use some freeware to find out what channels your neighbours are on. Digisenders can cause problems and do not show up so some trial and error in setting channels may be necessary. My router is supposed to find an interference free channel automatically but our digisenders lack the intelligence to communicate.

Interestingly almost all our neighbours are on the same channel but their networks seem to work fine.

If you go wireless make sure you set up the security. Often it is disabled by default.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible