OT ish - Virgin/Sky landline/e mail?

I've been with Telewest now Virgin for years - TV, broadband & landline.

A few months ago I switched the TV to Sky. I'm thinking of changing the broadband & landline to Sky as well because (a) Virgins accounts dept are useless & (b) They tried to rip me off and (c) Sky are cheaper.

Q; If I do so, would I be able to keep my blueyonder e-mail address and my landline phone number?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

email no, it goes immediately you close the account.

The phone number is supposed to be portable but telewest/virgin media never appear to have been told that. Like everything with them, it depends on the member of staff you get at the time.

Reply to
Ericp

I changed from BT to Virgin over 6 weeks ago and I am still posting from my old BT address. I also transferred my old BT phone number to Virgin.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you changed the other way Virgin would cut you off within 24 hours. Expect your old BT address to be valid for a month or so and then it will also vanish.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you changed the other way Virgin would cut you off within 24 hours. Expect your old BT address to be valid for a month or so and then it will also vanish.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

...but since TMH you own your own domain name for your website, why don't you use that for your email address too, then you're never dependent on naff ISP-provided addresses ever again? Or even get a new domain (ie non-work related) - a *.co.uk can be had for 3 quid a year; it's a doddle to set up.

I certainly ported my old BT number *in* to NTL/VM many years ago; I'm sure it can be done.

Before you switch though, unless you definitely want out, then it's worth considering what their Retentions Dept will do for you. VM's policy is to keep charging its loyal customers the same amount, despite the falling market prices over the years; so although they occasionally roll out new speeds etc you don't keep up with market rates. When I whinged about moving to Sky about 3 or 4 years ago, I got a very favourable price reduction from VM and I stayed put; which reminds me it's about time I did it again! ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

The BT account can be changed from broadband to a PAYG dial-up account. As long as you dial in and send/receive email at least once every 90 days the email account/address will remain active.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I often wonder if their trying to commit commercial suicide?. We have a VM phone line and now we get charged 9.5 pence per call plus VAT a one minute local call that is.

6 pence connection charge and 3.5 pence for the call up to the first minute. Best part of 20 P to a mobile.

We are looking into alternatives;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not surprised, we have BT tarrif that has capped call charges. IIRC

10p maximum for up to 1hr to landlines and 25p to mobiles. None of this silly 10p/minute mlarkie. The per minute charge clock does start ticking after 60 mins but you can just hangup and redial...

Not to mention the various inclusive call packages but we don't make a great many phone calls so that probably isn't economic for us.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need to check your exchange here

to make sure sky have LLU on your exchange. Otherwise it will be sky connect over a BT adsl connection which after Virgin you will find unbelievably bad.

Reply to
Mark

It says "Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU" is available.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

you're good to go then. :)

-
Reply to
Mark

A friend in Newbury has just switched to bt, from what service I don't know and I have just sent him an e mail from my very old line one address as a demonstration as to how to do it.

The loss of my bt address wouldn't be a problem for me, but it would cause a lot of problems for the town's Beaver Scouts, as my wife is assistant district commissioner and has to send e mails to all the colony leaders as to what went on at meetings that they can't attend

Are you sure that bt *will* block me soon?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Why don't you get your own domain and e-mail address off that, doesn't cost that much and you can move it with you if you change phone co or ISP..

Summat like

or similar?..

Reply to
tony sayer

That might be better for my wife, but we live a lot further North than Newbury :-)

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

OK well,

www.somewherequitealongwayawayfromnewburyandinanycasenorthofwatfordsoitm ustbeoutinthestickssalongwayawayfromnewburywheremymatelivesscouts.org

I'll think I'll go and get my woggle;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

OMG! There are places further north than Newbury?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes! Sheerness....

Reply to