Another Switch in a 3 way system

Our bedroom has a light switch at the side of the entry door, then it has 4 points which are intermediate switches (yes all for the same lights). Is there a way to add another switch to the original entry door switch? It would be a simple solution to our problem without having to run wiring to one of the intermediates. Hope this is clear.

Simon

Sorry, it's not clear what you're trying to achieve. More detail/pictures please.

Are you trying to add a fifth switch for the existing lights? or are you trying to add another gang to the bedroom door switch to control some other lights?

Could you make the bedroom door switch an intermediate? If so, you could tape a three core[1] onto the existing two core, pull the two core out into the ceiling void/loft (thus pulling the three core+E in) and use a j-box in the void to interface to the new switch and the luminaire.

[1] all plus-earth, of course.
Reply to
Dave Osborne

I'm not quite clear what you mean. Do you want to put in an additional (i.e. a 6th) switch to control the same lights? Do you want this switch located physically away from the first switch, but probably closer to it than to any of the other four, so that you wish to splice its wiring in with that of the first, in preference to one or two of the others?

Yes, you can do that. You will need a 5-core cable (4 + earth) or two

3-core cables (twin + earth) to go from the new switch to the existing.

The existing and new intermediates are four-terminal switches which may be thought of as having two inputs (A and B) and two outputs (C and D), and they will connect either A to C and B to D, or else A to D and B to C. At any time one of the two input wires will be live (which one depends on the positions of the switches before it), and so will one of the two outputs (which one depends on the position of *this* switch *and* on which of its inputs is live).

The first switch is probably an ordinary single pole changeover switch which connects its single input (permanently live) to one of its two outputs X and Y. These two outputs are already wired to the two inputs A1 and B1 of the first intermediate switch. Disconnect these. You would need to run four wires from the new switch's terminals A5 B5 C5 and D5 to the box of the first switch. Then wire up X and Y to A5 and B5, and also wire up C5 and D5 to A1 and B1. Simple.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Sorry Dave, I meant to reply to group! thanks for your help

Simon

Simon

It would be difficult to run any wiring to any of the existing intermediates. As you say the first switch is an ordinary 2way switch and is easily accessible which is why I want to try and use it. The new switch is only the other side of the wall and already has a 3 and earth running to it, unused obviously. I'm gonna have to draw a diagram to decipher your last paragraph but I think you want me to run cable from new switch to intermediate switch unless you mean I can use existing wires re terminated. I'm not a pro.. can you tell? ;~) Thanks for your help

Simon

Simon

In article , Simon writes

I'm still at a loss to see what you are trying to do, perhaps a simple word description of that would be clearer and save you having to draw a diag.

Reply to
fred

What size is your bedroom???????

If it needs five light switches it sounds bigger than our entire house :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

In the box for the first switch (which is a two-way 3-terminal switch) there will be 2 wires going to the first intermediate, by way of a cable buried in the wall somehow. You will re-use this cable, but its two wires will need to be connected to the new switch instead of the first switch. The other two wires from the new switch go to the first switch instead of two wires which came from the first intermediate.

1 is the first switch (simple changeover). 2 is the first intermediate (crossover). The two wires which go from 1 to 2 are buried in some conduit. In the box for switch 1, disconnect them. You don't need to touch the box in which 2 sits.

6 is the new intermediate. Its 4 wires (two to 1 and two to 2) run in a new (short) conduit from 6 to 1. At 1, two of the wires connect to switch 1 where you've just disconnected the two wires from 2. The other two wires from 6 are then joined to the two wires from 2 which you've disconnected from 1. This happens at the two points marked O. They will be in a new connector block which you'll need to supply and accommodate within the box for 1.
Reply to
Ronald Raygun

You need a crossover switch. You can also wire a 2Pole 2Way switch to do this

Tabby