OT ish.Should I?

I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work

- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full day £180.

What does the team think?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well from the umpteenth reserves (waiting list) I'll venture that (i) I thought you'd bitten the bullet (or angle grinder?) on this after you asked last year and (ii) yes of of course - there's nowt such not gone up since then in London and the SE. You can always give loyal customers a discount if they sniff loudly.

I stongly suspect that like most such traders you'd probably maximise your income by not working fulltime. But I do appreciate it is easy for me to say that when it's not my income at stake.

Reply to
Robin

True enough.

Sorry, didn't understand that bit :-)

But I do appreciate it is easy for

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Have you not asked the same question here before?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Probably - but I did nothing about it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think he means the following. As you increase your rate the number of jobs you get decreases. Your income is the product of rate and number of jobs. This will be a maximum at some rate. (Obviously it will be zero if the rate is either zero or a very large number). He is suggesting that the maximum income will occur at a rate that leads to a less-than-fulltime number of jobs.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Well if you adjusted for just inflation, you need to multiply by about

1.14 I would estimate based on:

that would scale your full day rate to 182 just by itself. That would return you to your square one earning potential, or the price you set before you had a proven track record, and (more than) full order book.

So at least:

45, 30, 120, 200

would seem not seem unreasonable. Bearing in mind its not so easy to go up in negotiation, but you can come down by way of incentives if you need to.

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting problem, because of the psychological impact of different numbers and the intersection of day rates and hour rates.

Eg your day rate could go to 190 quid as easily as 180 - still beneath

200 quid. And the half day to 120 rather than 110 - still not much over 100. But then you're getting closer to your hourly rates - which suggests that 25/hour is a little low, but putting that up to the next nice number of 30/hour is offputting.

So yes, despite your proposed day and half day rates being a little low if you didn't have an hourly rate, the whole set is probably about right.

Reply to
Clive George

Ferzacerly.

I need to offer some kind of price incentive to get 4 & 8 hours bookings e.g. "it's cheaper to save the jobs up & book me for a half or whole day". That already works well.

Indeed. £27:50 sounds a bit weird & its more difficult for clients to work out.

I may just rejig by 'only' offering 1 hour £45, 2 hours £75, half day £120, full day £180.

So, 1hour, quarter day, half day, full day.

If a job took 3 or 6 hours I could discount it? .

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or try a fixed price quote perhaps. Depending on the punter. People don't really like open ended prices. I would always go for a fixed price.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Try working a longer day then!

Would you like that pointed so that I can cure the vampire in you, you mischievous little (or should I say rather large) beggar? Typical bloody Tyke. ;-)

What, me teach he who knows it all something - impossible, he's too dense?

Even if my advice was perfect (which is something I would never do for that prat) he would still refuse to accept it, but I suppose I could say just raise his f***ing prices - he might lose some clients, but he would do less work and still end up increasing his margins! It would also help if he ditched his expensive 'shed' suppliers and found some decent merchants and opened monthly accounts with them, thus taking advantage of their trade discounts which will allow him to put a greater customer mark-up on it and also to (usually) get a discount for settling the account[s] within the agreed period (typically 30 days after the invoice date). Doing - simple advice which he will ignore and then reply in his usual manner. ROTFL

(Scroll down a bit)

If he has to ask that in a D-I-Y group then no wonder he's a failed salesman!

As a matter of interest ARW, I'm totally bored with winding up the stupid c**t and kill-filed him months, thus never having to read his silly posts - until mischievous beggars like you tempt me.

BTW, nice wind-up with Dennis and his comments, but I'm surprised that he has yet to cotton on to your sense of humour. :-)

Carry on scrolling| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Mostly bullshit, but what the hell

Reply to
Unbeliever

Define "day". A "full day" to me is 12 hrs on site plus travel... I suspect your "full day" is a mere 8 hrs on site inc travel. B-)

Blimey, I'm only making £55 per day and it's bloody hard work. I have to watch "Upstairs Downstairs, "This Morning", "Dickinsons Real Deal" etc etc. AND make the tea.

Reply to
brass monkey

You need to do some local research, Try getting some family members to ask a few of the competitors about their charges.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Typical s**te really.

I thought he was dead?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How can he wind me up, he is ignored, he is just a bit too slow to work it out. He must be very slow as its been months since I replied to the idiot.

Reply to
dennis

IFYPFY

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
djc

I think that is why the first hour is =A345 and TMH restricts how far he will travel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Put your prices up for new and infrequent customers and tell the regulars that you are giving them a discount for repeat business and set those prices so they are only a small increase on what they paid last time.

I have a window cleaner who has charged me the same over 5 years. He has a big round now (2 months cycle time) and increases his prices to new clients and tells the old ones this.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin