OT'ish: How to set-up an RSS feed?

I want to get notified automagically when new planning applications are submitted within a certain area. I think I need to set-up an RSS feed to do this but haven't used them before so need some help. This is a sample area on the relevant map:

((-2.4850%2052.1603,-2.1128%2052.1637,-2.0798%2051.9264,-2.5083%2051.9467,-2.4850%2052.1603))&search-service=mapsearch&search-source=the&search-item=map%20search#tab3

Clicking on "view results as an RSS feed" gives a list but I can't see how to use this to get notifications. Have I got the wrong end of the stick? or the wrong stick, perhaps? Help!

Reply to
nothanks

That looks like a valid RSS feed, but you need to put it in an RSS reader app which will poll the link and notify you if something changes. Firefox used to support RSS natively, but it's now moved to plugins, likewise for Chrome (apparently Chrome is testing a 'follow' button to add it back in again). You can also get desktop and mobile apps for RSS.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Firefox dropped RSS feeds a while ago, no doubt you can get an add-on for them, but thunderbird still supports RSS, if you don't have "Blogs & News Feeds" folder then add an account for it, and then subscribe to the URL required

one snag is that thunderbird thinks the RSS URL you've supplied isn't valid, possibly a missing GUID for each <item> tag according to the validator?

Reply to
Andy Burns

What you posted wasn't the feed URL, try this instead (in thunderbird)

((-2.4850%2052.1603,-2.1128%2052.1637,-2.0798%2051.9264,-2.5083%2051.9467,-2.4850%2052.1603))&search-service=mapsearch&search-source=the&search-item=map%20search>
Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com writes

Using Thunderbird and Firefox, I've just done this.

Starting with Firefox, I opened the link you show above (which gave me a warning about cross site scripting).

I then clicked on the link for View Results ... Copy this URL.

Now, turning to Thunderbird, I went to my "Blogs & News Feeds" heading, and clicked on that.

Selecting the "Manage feed subscriptions" link I get a popup, and pasted the copied URL into the "Feed URL" box. The click "Add", and away it goes. I now have 500 Herefordshire planning applications in my feed.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Have you had a look at

They will send you free alerts for applications within 1/4 mile of a chosen postcode.

A greater radius then costs money, but if you have a number of email addresses...

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Whatever floats your boat...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Water as a rule ;-), certainly not 500 planning applications (which have now been deleted).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Be very careful with some stand alone ones often they use resources from IE to do things and if the site has blocked IE as some do its never going to work, I found this same issue with podcast links which are basically souped up rss anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thanks, I didn't know about that. I've registered for the free service.

Reply to
nothanks

I have a few set up in thunderbird, like this one -

I don't remember having to install any plugins though ?.

Reply to
Andrew