New uses for multitool and dremel.

Many of us will be familiar with the problem of using power tools on thermoplastics, that the frictional heating softens and starts to melt the plastic. The other day I wanted to repurpose one of those blow moulded plastic boxes (which originally contained a dremel of some sort) by taking out the "internal" bit with all the pockets, just to leave the outer shell. I've always struggled to do this neatly in the past, but I decided to try the "wood saw" blades on a multitool. Slightly to my surprise, they work perfectly even at the highest speed. I used both the "straight" and the "circular with cutout" blades depending on the location. Evidently the sliding speed is low enough not to cause melting at a pressure sufficient to cut effectively. (The blade just gets slightly warm to the touch).

This morning it was time to replace the glass rope door seals on my woodburner. Of the standard dremel accessories, I find I use reinforced disks the most, then unreinforced, then brushes and sanding drums. I hardly ever find the grindstones useful. But it turns out the "die grinder" type bits are perfect for cleaning out old adhesive and rust from the grooves that the rope is loosely seated in. Some of them wear down quite quickly once you reach the metal, but it is far easier than the poke and scrape approach that I have used before.

(I'm using dremel in the hoover sense).

Reply to
newshound