London Marathon - FlightRadar24 (a bit OT)

A look at flight ASR1101 is interesting!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Love it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They won't get much of a view of the race from 5 miles up. Maybe they're looking for a filling station with petrol. I'll save my Le Touquet story for another day. Other interesting sightings: During the lockdown when there was virtually nothing in the skies around here, an AWACS flying perfect circles around Northumberland National Park for hours on end. Also during the lockdown, a large jet overflew our house on its way into Edinburgh Airport. Turns out it was a 747 from Beijing (that must be a first) presumably delivering PPE. Took off again a couple of hours later. More recently, a privately-owned DC3 (Dakota) en route from France and landing at Wick. Keeping one of those airworthy must be quite an expensive hobby. We get a lot of Europe-North America traffic over Southern Scotland, both civilian and US military. Any time I spot a Stratotanker, I find myself humming "Try A Little Tenderness". A virtual cigar to anyone who can guess why.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Well, it's better than something that makes you hum "Puff the Magic Dragon" (look it up if you don't know and aren't squeamish).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Were they operating as an intermediate station for the ground-based mobile cameras?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Why? Can't see it!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I can see how that would work in hindsight, but I'm not sure it would have meant anything to audiences back in the day.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

It was obviously doing something. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the height it was at, but IIRC it was a twin engine prop plane - and if so I doubt it would be 5 miles.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What is this about for us unsighted? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I would have thought Dakotas were basic enough aircraft they would keep going almost indefinitly. Some control cable failures tend to result in one less of them though, and the Engines might be a challenge, and don't buy one kept near the coast. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In message <sjebjv$tga$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

FlightRadar24 showed that a light aircraft had taken off from Le Toquet, flown directly to the skies above London, and was repeatedly flying back and forth over the city. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the height it was at. As suggested, it was possibly something to do with the marathon.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The altitude stated in the info panel was 26000+ ft. Admittedly it was late morning when I checked and it might have been flying lower earlier on. I don't recall seeing any lighter traces, indicating a lower altitude, however. Maybe they weren't allowed to fly any lower, what with all the congestion in London's airspace.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

I imagine getting some spares could be problematic. Presumably if you have the spec and enough cash, you can find someone in the USA who will make a part to order. I think the possibility of metal fatigue would be a significant concern with aircraft of that age. Do they shorten the inspection intervals for "old-timers"?

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Basler are still remanufacturing DC3s as BT-67s, so they presumably are intending to keep them flying for a long time to come.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Interesting. I assume they are using modern engines and replacing all the potential weak spots?

Reply to
Custos Custodum

From the little I have read, they are strengthening the structure and fitting turbo-prop engines - which actually are less efficient than the piston engines, but modern and reliable.

Reply to
Steve Walker

No, they are not less efficient.

A turboprop can approach 60% at cruise.

An old radial engine is probably around 30%

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From your link: "Basler BT-67 DC-3/C-47 conversion with a stretched fuselage, strengthened structure, modern avionics, and powered by two Pratt & Whitney Canada PT-6A-67R turboprop engines."

Why would they strengthen the structure if there weren't any perceived potential weak spots?

Reply to
Custos Custodum

ITYFT vibration and flexing (work hardening) are more significant contributors to metal fatigue than pressure alone.

Then I think it would be prudent in the case of original, unmodified aircraft with a lot of air miles behind them.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

to allow the transport of heavier loads

Reply to