OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components

When it was UPS round here, the delivery man always left in my porch if I was out. Mow it's Royal Mail, its left on the porch anyway. They don't even try to ring the doorbell.

Reply to
charles

what do you do with the other 99? You've spent 90p on somethings you don't need.

Reply to
charles

normally

I'd assume it's based on priority rather than value. ie. the picking/packing of "next day before noon" orders is done before "next day" which are done before "when ever". But on a dynamic basis, so if a "when ever" order has been in the queue for say 24 hours it gets bumped up a level, 48 hours bumped up another level.

That's the London problem, we've had the same UPS driver for years. He'll ring the doorbell but if you aren't quick all you find is the parcel. Did get a complaint when I accidentally ordered something with a before noon delivery. UPS normally deliver mid afternoon so to get here before noon it screwed up the routing.

A lot of the couriers either have a quick turn round on drivers or don't keep drivers on the same route. Probably not an issue in town where a satnav will plonk you outside the door of most places. Here satnav plonks you in the middle of field half a mile away, local knowledge of where places are is invaluable.

One courier would drop all the parcels for the area in town, then someone in their car would pick 'em up and do the "last mile" (well last mile to ten...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

normally

Parcel Force is tied up with Royal Mail some how, ie small Parcel Force 48 things will be delivered by the Royal Mail postman on his normal postal round. Yet a Parcel Force van comes past late afternoon

Royal Mail is also good, stuff posted 2nd class has a very good chance of arriving next working day, depends mainly on how/where it was posted. A big sender pre sorting their packets before handing to Royal Mail will almost certainly arrive next working day, someting dropped into a letter box for last collection probably won't.

Yep, or anything else considered "hazardous".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sells them on Ebay. ;-)

You ever done a job that just needed one resistor? And are willing to spend the time going to buy one?

I have all the preferred values, and buy them by the hundred. At one time Maplin sold them in tens, and did a complete kit of them. At a fair price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Kits of SMD resistors are also readily available on eBay.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Right. Although I don't do enough SM to warrant having them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I replaced a sealed lead acid battery recently and the old one was Maplin branded so would have had a competitive price at the time of purchase. The replacement came from Toolsatan at just over £8 because this time Maplin were x3 the Toolsatan price.

These days I treat Maplin as a source of last resort.

Reply to
alan_m

I, too, have a kit of all the preferred values, (Probably bought at Maplin

- in the old days) but I haven't used any for about 20 years. I suppose I could sell the complete kit. and free up space in my workshop.

Reply to
charles

I don't treat them as a source at all. Last time I went there they were sel ling leads for north of £20 a piece. I can pay a tenth of that elsewhe re.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If they are HDMI then they are £1 in poundland.

Reply to
dennis

But then a couple of weeks later you'd need a few.

Reply to
Rob Morley

funny poundland is no longer just pound land its now twopound or fivepound land

-
Reply to
Mark

Just received a CPC/UPS delivery (large box) - they left it at a local newsagent. No complaints at all - but I'm not sure they do that as a matter of course.

Reply to
RJH

My complain was they didn't even attempt to deliver. Quicker to pre-write some cards than wait for the door to be answered, and get a sig etc.

And this happened more than once.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Poundworld is worse. Lots of different prices and inadequate price labelling. In normal shops everything is priced; in Poundworld everything is £1 unless you manage to find a contrary price.

Reply to
Max Demian

And the rest, I have seen stuff for £16 in our local in Wednesbury.

Reply to
dennis

We have a 98p store near me.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes but the HDMI lead I bought from Poundland led to strange things happening because the internal wires had no screening or twisting. I eventually went crestfallen to pay Maplin's ransome. I minimised this by being adamant with the salesman I didn't need gold plating.

Reply to
Dave W

Then why offer it at all? When selling on Ebay you only have to provide one postage option.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword