OT ish; Chromebook

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?
In plain English please :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook
--
Today is Boomtime, the 58th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of
The Medway Handyman wrote:

It isn't Microsoft, it's Linux (but the idea is the user shouldn't care what it is, it just keeps itself updated and they simply use it) so if you run any software that's specifically Windows only, it won't run that obviously.
They have relatively small amounts of storage (flash memory instead of a spinning disc) as you're intended to either read stuff that's online with them, or store your own stuff online, so you need to have Wifi or 3G coverage for them to be very useful.
Not played with them very much, an IT manager for a large NHS trust got one as his retirement present, when I spoke to him later he's over the moon with it.
On 04/10/2014 10:10, Andy Burns wrote:

Thanks.
If I used a memory stick with a WORD doc for example, would I be able to read/edit it?

I assume I could use a USB stick to store stuff?

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yes, using Google Docs, if you've used any fancy features of Word, the doc might not be 100% faithful to the original and need some minor tweaking.

Yes.

read yes.
Edit? maybe. probably need to install libre office.

Or a networked storage device I'd gay. Not sure if it has Ethernet available, but it must have wifi.

Don't bloody start that again :-)

On 04/10/2014 14:08, The Natural Philosopher wrote: 8<

A homebase worker?
On 04/10/2014 18:33, Dennis@home wrote:

homobase perhaps?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/10/2014 23:49, John Rumm wrote:

Careful John, you'll be accused of being homo(base)phobic.

Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...
I prefer Wicks ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
/Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...
I prefer Wicks ;-) /q
Is that rhyming slang?
Jim K

In candles?

TMH has repeatedly said he has nothing against those who prefer wicks. :-)
--
Rod

Yes but in my experience if you want to iterate between WORD and Google Docs you would be better off with a Windows laptop and Office (or perhaps one of the open office versions, or even a genuine linux laptop with Kingsoft or Apache). Chrome might be a linux derivative but it is not a true linux environment.

On 04/10/14 10:10, Andy Burns wrote:

Becoming popular with schools, for which it is a *very* good fit.
It does "enough" (web, office-stuff, email and now some android apps too) but it looks after itself more of less as well as an android phone.
So the software support issue is greatly reduced.

There are plusses and minuses. Bought one for my wife a few years ago because they were very cheap, now laptop prices have come down in comparison. It is relatively fiddly if you want to share files with PC users. You don't have to buy software to do the basic stuff but you are locked into Google's ecosystem. The cloud environment is good, no need to worry about backups etc as long as it is always used in a wifi environment. More fiddly if you are using it "offline". Microsoft has caught up in providing comparable cloud services. Wife continues to use it in preference to her newer Win 8 laptop even though the battery is knackered so that she needs mains most of the time.
I quickly decided these were not for me (but I work in a Windows environment). Daughter thought about getting one to use on the train on her commute, but decided against; now uses Ipad and Kindle.
So they are viable for "simple" user who just wants basic WP, email, browsing, shopping, and can be used in a community who share data provided "pc" users don't mind working with Google Docs files. Probably fairly secure compared to Windows.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Linux operating system for mobile devices, including some laptops (mainly the lightweight smaller cheaper ones) Far more stable and secure than a Windows OS.
I've recently bought a 9" Tablet with Android OS at £38 inc. delivery. Expecting it be be rubbish, my expectations were some blown away, as it is an excellent device. I've got 150+ page manuals which open faster on the tablet than the laptop sat here.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'
On 04/10/2014 11:27, A.Lee wrote:

Plenty of horror stories out there about Google's online storage. Google Drive, Google Sync, Google this that and the other bloody thing. Great when it's working but they keep "improving" things, and nothing they do is particularly intuitive to my mind. MS is the devil I know.
I've got a £50 Android tablet which is a bloated mess of apps you can't get rid of but does work well for the very basic stuff.
On 04/10/2014 11:27, A.Lee wrote:

Technically "ChromeOS" which has a Linux kernal, but it not your typical Linux distribution.
(you can download something similar for PCs called ChomiumOS if you want to try it).
--
Cheers,

John.