OT ish; Chromebook

My Epson all in one printer does google cloud print, and has a scanner, and it came with ink.

Cost £27 at ASDA. Hardly a bank breaker to get a google cloudprint printer.

I wouldn't be without my chromebook. Long battery life, far fewer malware issues.

I use ssh to my Unix and Linux servers from it, and do python based web development on it. As well as the usual browsing and document work. All of the google docs stuff works offline by the way. It's all I need. Cheap, light, reliable.

Reply to
HarpingOn

Yes and no. The manufacturers can churn out the volume because they're already churning out the volume for Chinese customers, who aren't stuffed with cash and hence these home-grown tablets are attractive. What they aren't is the same as Samsung, Google, etc inside - those have quite different hardware. Though you could argue it's a bit like a Windows PC: the experience is very similar.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yes but in my experience if you want to iterate between WORD and Google Docs you would be better off with a Windows laptop and Office (or perhaps one of the open office versions, or even a genuine linux laptop with Kingsoft or Apache). Chrome might be a linux derivative but it is not a true linux environment.

Reply to
newshound

Yes - I do not get why Android and ChromeOS do not have a native printing API...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think it Android does since KitKat, can't say I've ever used a printer from mine ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I *love* tablets and bought bluetooth keyboards for my first two, but have ended up not using them; I use the tablets for browsing / email checking / photo viewing / reading manuals only, with various small laptops for anything where I need to *enter* significant text based like WP and spreadsheet. (Tablets are *wonderful* for holding things like car or camera manuals).

One of my laptops is a toshiba with touch screen and Win 8.1 with a removable keyboard, so in principle either an "ipad" or a "laptop". In practice, it stays as a laptop while I use a Nexus 7 for all my "tablet" requirements.

Just my experience. Wife runs an old iPad and a Kindle Fire in parallel with her chromebook, but generally follows the same pattern: if she needs to type anything more than a sentence she uses the chromebook, otherwise one of the tablets.

We also have relatively small smartphones. I wonder from time to time whether the new big iPhone or the android equivalents would eliminate one device, but I am inclined to think you need a pocketable phone and a minimum of 7 inch screen for most "tablet" applications, i.e. two separate devices. It is handy to be able to check email on a small phone, but easier to reply using a tablet or laptop unless it is just yes or no.

Reply to
newshound

Yes good point. Wife can print in principle to the home network, more often than not something does not work so now she just emails me the document and says "please print this".

Reply to
newshound

Asus transformer pad anadoid 4.4 getting one soon best of both worlds use King office good compromise.

Reply to
curious

Having got a Galaxy G2, Surface Pro, Nexus 7, iPad (original), Nokia

1520 - and have access to a new big Surface Pro, 72 iPad, laptops of many varieties, I have a soft spot for the Nexus. It is our current easiest way of using iPlayer on the television.

An external keyboard (I have the Microsoft Wedge) makes typing really good on tablets. But it is a pain to carry round.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm inclined to agree. I think that designs are converging, and android manufacturers are starting to realise the folly of adding bloat. Kingsoft is one of the better ones for compatability with Word (and business is still dominated by Word).

Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

My son has just exchanged the new larger iPhone for the new smaller one. He must have had a reason.

Reply to
Bill

Have the tablets + keyboards sorted out the problem of all the weight being in the tablet and thus not being well balanced when using the keyboard in anything but absolutely ideal conditions (eg on your knee)?

Reply to
Bill

That sounds very similar to my 9" tablet. It's good, but my complaints are:

Lack of bluetooth Very low resolution (although I quite like that with age-related eyesight) Small memory and relatively small space for programs. I still haven't really got my head round why some tablets divide up the memory in such a way as to leave little space for programs compared with the space left for data.

Adrian - the point about not needing the phone feature is fine, but my experience is that the more I use the tablets, the more I want all the features. Mine have diverted away from what I expected as I have found that they have different uses from the equally needed laptops. Maybe I'm odd because I don't have a smartphone.

I am also not convinced that some of the cheap tablets are that much worse than the more expensive branded ones. Certainly my 2 phablets have been very handy for quickly showing websites to SWMBO, rather than getting a laptop with the right viewing angle and then navigating screens.

Reply to
Bill

I'm not sold on pads yet.

For me, "typing" on a touchscreen is such an utterly painful experience I avoid it as much as possible. A phone is bearable as it will only me a short message or a google/youtube/neflix search and a phone is small enough that the utility of having it in my pocket all the time makes it worth while.

For anything else it has to be a 14-15" laptop and if I'm working for long,that needs to be jacked into a proper monitor and real keyboard.

I do question Star Trek (Next Generation aka Picard) - those guys are always tapping away as a glass screened pad, or a ginormous glass touchscreen console on a desk or wall.

Never hear Worf swearing "FFS, stupid keyboard does not work with my fat fingers" and despite that you never see anyone giving the glass a polish with a cloth, for some reason they are always shiny and not at all smeared with fingerprints/sweat/deal alien blood.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think you do see them covered with tribbles, though. :-)

My laptop is much heavier and awkward to get usable on the road. Has far shorter battery life. Is noisier. And also usually has a dirty screen. Out and about, I use a Surface Pro for work, my Nexus 7 for home.

Reply to
polygonum

The tribbles polish them :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, I'm very leery of things that operate storing my data online in a cloud or whatever. However I do have a vested interest in preserving the look of interfaces which of course Google can change at a whim without asking if most of it is online. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We don't have a mobile phone signal at home. We've both got Android phones, and have almost forgotten they exist. On the rare occasions we remember to take them with us, they're either flat or out of credit...

Reply to
Adrian

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

Reply to
Bod

I can print from my Samsung Galaxy Note phone to a Canon printer.

Reply to
Bod