OT ish; Chromebook

In message , Adrian writes

Ah, that makes absolute sense.

It's also the reason I like the tablets that take a couple of sims. If I use the tablet as a tablet, it usually isn't flat, and the clamshell mobile phone is often out of credit and low on battery.

I also might save up and buy the charts necessary to use it on the boat, and perhaps I could set the coastguard's phone number up for quick dial.

:-)

Reply to
Bill

If you have a decent internet connection, and want to do basic web surfing, email and other day to day computing stuff and have no absolute need to run specific microsoft applications, then they can be very good.

They are aimed at people who just want to get on a do stuff, and don't want to get involved in any technicalities keeping them running. Google takes care of making sure you have all the latest software, and patches, and there is very little fussing about to keep them working. Basically a laptop that "just works". They boot fast, don't need to be hugely powerful (the complicated stuff can be done on google's servers) hence they are quite cheap. No need to worry about anti virus etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

homobase perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm

Technically "ChromeOS" which has a Linux kernal, but it not your typical Linux distribution.

(you can download something similar for PCs called ChomiumOS if you want to try it).

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds ideal :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Careful John, you'll be accused of being h*mo(base)phobic.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Encouraging. All I really want is to word process, use spreadsheets, surf the net & send/receive e mail.

Five minutes after I replied to your post, my PC crashed. Blue screen telling me there was an error of some sort.

I guess I can store stuff on an external hard drive?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
newshound

Maybe. It might need external power. You *should* be able to store on a USB stick but an even better bet would be an SD card (if there is a slot) because it doesn't "stick out". 32 GB not much more than a tenner. But, at least on my wife's, it is more fiddly to do that than use the default storage location. I gave up trying to teach her how to do it.

Reply to
newshound

Some of them now don't even seem to have USB ports. Our 2012 Samsung has USB2, USB3, HDMI, and SD.

Reply to
newshound

Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...

I prefer Wicks ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

/Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...

I prefer Wicks ;-) /q

Is that rhyming slang?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In candles?

Reply to
dennis

TMH has repeatedly said he has nothing against those who prefer wicks. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

What?

Reply to
HarpingOn

ITHM "to".

Can you print to a chromebook from any printer?

Reply to
Adrian

11 Jan 2014 - "Trying to print from a Chromebook can be an adventure seeing as how you can't actually plug the printer directly to it". Instead you've got to use ...

*In other words, you can only print from *the cloud*.
Reply to
Bod

Sure. I have four printers in the house, only one of which has google cloud print support built in, but I can print to any one I want.

Reply to
HarpingOn

Or even..

Can you print from a chromebook to any printer?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, dear. Thank you, dear.

Reply to