OT: Insurance company trying to fleece me?!

On 27/02/15 22:49, John Rumm wrote:

What they lack in brains is sometimes made up for in other ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyIG_jZzBs

Showed to that the son (who is a lifelong mini palaeontologist):
"Stupid @~?!!?##@?*!!! etc etc"
Showed that to the wife:
"She's got big tits" (or words to very similar effect). Interesting what women notice...
On 27/02/2015 22:59, Tim Watts wrote:

They can be quite competitive.
On 27/02/2015 22:49, John Rumm wrote:

Its good fun to ask them why evolution is just one of gods tools.
Bob Eager wrote:

I have this one ...
<http://darwinuk.com/stickers/evolve-fish-sticker/prod_17.html
fred put finger to keyboard:
<snip> > If they ask you again, keep it in writing by re-iterate that you had

I would advise the OP against saying he was considering modifying his car; it could count against him if he is seen as a potential wannabe 'boy racer', and according to his post he was only curious how much extra the insurance would be.
On 25/02/2015 09:39, Scion wrote:

Agreed, although its worth keeping in mind that there may be a number of reasons for considering a remap on a car, including getting better fuel efficiency.
--
Cheers,

John.
writes

A valid point, thank you, I only thought of that after I had posted. Taking the worst possible inference they could view anyone who had even considered modifying their car as a higher risk and impose higher premiums. Welcome to thought crime insurance inc.
Being 'chip' curious as you suggest sounds a safer bet.
Another reason to keep things in writing and to send them only after waiting a while, re-reading and re-thinking the content to be sure it says what you mean, and no more (short and sweet best). Far too easy to say something you consider to be innocent on the phone only to have it taken the wrong way by the other party.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

ISTM that horse has already bolted and he now needs to shut the stable door as carefully as possible
tim
On 25/02/15 15:43, tim..... wrote:

It's a red herring.
I *considered* buying a Tesla S for £100k. In my dreams. I even ran it through comparethemarket out of morbid interest. There is nothing they can deduce from that other than I was window shopping...
I'd love one - but no, it's not happening!

The big problem is how do you prove that your car isn't chipped?
Say you've gone for one of these units. http://www.chipexpress.com . You'd be a fool to submit the car for inspection when the unit is so easy to remove. Consequently, I can see why with such an easily reversible mod, insurance companies may act just on suspicion of modification.
I suspect that the OP's best bet it to cancel the existing policy and take out insurance with a company that's not part of the same group and who doesn't load the premium.
He really should ask in UK.legal.moderated though (as well as going to a CAB) rather than asking here as it's not guesses and opinions that he needs but solid legal advice.
Tim
On 25/02/15 17:57, Tim+ wrote:

I suspect you are a latent psycho - can I kill you in self defence?
On 25/02/15 17:57, Tim+ wrote:

Firmware checksum? Boost values from OBD?
I suspect the real answer is the insurance co will accept his word- after all, we could all be driving around with undeclared mods. If he has a claim, they'll be all over it like a rash *then*.

Bet they don’t bother.
On 25/02/2015 20:53, Chris Bartram wrote:

Quite understandable - but a total nightmare if you bought your vehicle second-hand. Then it would be your responsibility find out and declare as appropriate - but how many people would know they needed to, let alone how to do so?
Perhaps dealers should have to provide a certificate of some sort - so that at least the poor sap buying it has a clear defence.
--
Rod

Discovered belatedly that my daughter's old car had non-standard wheels and tyres, technically a "modification". We never declared it as we were unaware of it. *Probably* wouldn't have been a problem if we had made a claim but it made me uncomfortable thinking about "what ifs".
Tim

OTOH
I was having a dispute with my insurance company which they started by mail with a form to fill in and return envelope supplied
so I replied by post
but they wrote back completing ignoring the information that I had put on the form
After a couple of rounds of this, I bit the bullet and phoned the call centre who sorted the problem out in 2 minutes
I'm inclined to suspect that they take the view that people who are trying to pull a fast one resist phoning up to resolve the problem as it would mean having to keep to the lie through the phone call and that if you do phone up they treat the information that you give them with more credibility than if you write in
tim
"gremlin_95" wrote in message
Hi all,
Would really appreciate some advice on how to approach this.
Basically, I recently renewed my car insurance with the same company as before (Elephant Insurance) - never had any issues with them in my first year driving and the price was decent (over £800 less than last year even with increased mileage and an extra driver).
The policy renewed on 15th February but today I received an email saying:
"A check of your policy details against our system records has highlighted a discrepancy in the details you gave us. The information differs to that recorded on another quote with us or another company within the same group. We have included the omitted vehicle modifications. See the Motor Proposal Confirmation Form. Please note extra condition 11 of your policy applies in respect of non-standard parts replacement. This means a balance of £304.54 is due, which we will be debit from the card details we hold on file"
Now, I remember a while back when I was searching for quotes for this year's insurance, I did include a remap/chip in the modifications section but this was only to see how much of a difference it would make to the insurance premium - it was more of a curiosity thing as I know a few who've had such work done. My car is still completely standard and absolutely no modifications have been done!
I have emailed them explaining the situation but have yet to receive a reply. I haven't had a chance to ring them yet but can anyone offer any advice on how to approach it with them? Can they really take my money for modifications that hasn't even been done?! How would I prove that my car is still running at its standard output (~75BHP)?
Many thanks,
--
Dazza

I suspect that is them saying "you have declared an interest in modifying
On 24/02/2015 21:42, gremlin_95 wrote:

What type of card did you pay with? (i.e. if push comes to shove, you can always get your money back if you paid with a cc, but its harder with a debit card).
Personally I would write to them and state that the car is unmodified, and you don't give permission for any further payment to be taken. If they are concerned then you can make the vehicle available to them for inspection (at their own expense).
--
Cheers,

John.

If you have a local CAB, get an appointment with one of their advisers, as well as what other people have suggested. If things escalate it will be enormously helpful to you to have a real person on your side.

Couldn't agree more. We did this when we had problems with a local supplier of domestic appliance spares. The CAB gave us a boilerplate text to use and a process to follow & the supplier backed down and gave me my money back almost immediately (they supplied the wrong part for a dishwasher & wouldn't give me my money back "because I'd fitted the part")
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my attitude,