OT: If the police don't know who was speeding

I heard it's removal was from a few decapitated motorcyclists in an otherwise survivable crash.

Reply to
Fredxx

On 22/07/2021 15:51, NY wrote:I presume a car which is temporarily hired to someone is a special case: the registered keeper will be company which is doing the hiring but the legal responsibility for paying fines and receiving points is contracted to the person who has hired the car.

Yes, and it works across borders. I hired a car in Luxembourg a couple of years ago.

About a month after the trip I received a speeding fine in the post from the Luxembourg Police (74kph in a 70 zone !)

49 Euros.  I suspect I could have just ignored it, but seeing as the hire company also had a record of my passport, I paid up to avoid any issues if I ever return to the country. Very painless, credit card via a website that could be switched to English.

What did annoy me was the hire company had also charged my credit card (without notification) 35 Euros admin fee for grassing me up to the Luxy-rossers. I didn't realise until I received the credit card bill a few days later.

I'm beginning to understand why Luxembourg is such a wealthy state !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Most hire companies do that. They state it in the hire agreement (which none of us ever read).

Luxembourg scoops up a lot of petrol and diesel duty and VAT from through traffic and from residents of the near parts of Germany, Italy and France. Fuel is so much cheaper there, you're always well-advised to fill the tank to the brim when just about to leave the country. Fill up in Chiasso and you can get to Naples in a car with a decent sized tank. Or to Pisa and back.

Reply to
JNugent

  • Oh, and Belgium, of course. There aren't many petrol stations on the Belgian side of the N4 in Ardennes because they cannot compete.
Reply to
JNugent

But what if you trusted Barry? What if Barry was usually a law abiding citizen, but got his first ever speeding fine and panicked, so lied?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mental note, get a jet black plain helmet. Or one that says "Police" on it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But you might assume it's a 1 in 1000 chance.

Where do you hide them?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not if many use those.

Well whatever stripes they use.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Even I don't get caught every 1000 times I drive.

In the grille at the front? Isn't a bit hot there?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There must be a common design.

I'm sure they do here. Maybe it's their jackets that are stripy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We were discussing you receiving a fine. If he speeds and doesn't get caught, it doesn't concern you.

Where exactly, in front of the radiator? That would be cool. But to the side is warm air that has passed the radiator.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That was only a guess. Are you saying there are so many different designs of fasteners they can tell? Surely those aren't clearly visible from a distant photo?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

He can't very well deny that. So you'll get your money.

I'd find it hard to find such a position. The lights, some heat, etc, things in the way everywhere. Plus I'm guessing you had to get an external waterproof camera. Most dashcams expect to be inside the car in the dry.

Yes, the warm air fills the engine bay.

If designed to have on e from manufacture.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Much more difficult than saying "I wasn't in the car at the time the camera flashed". Normally it's clear who caused an accident.

I'm not a mechanic.

Doesn't it covered in grit and mud?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then why do the police investigate the scene of an accident?

More than most actually.

Magic car then?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The point is when they do they can easily work out what happened. You or I could too.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Every accident I've had, there was no way either of us could have lied and made it out to be the other's fault.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've been in plenty accidents!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lemme try to remember.... Woman reversed into the side of me in a car park. She can't claim I drove sideways. Tractor towed me through snow at 30mph and I slid into a wall. Farmer can't claim he's sensible. I crashed into a tractor which didn't indicate. I believe the police can tell if bulbs were on at the time. I overtook someone in snow and crashed into a barrier. Obviously my fault. I ran a red light I didn't know was there and hit someone on a roundabout. Clearly the council's fault for using lights and roundabout on the same junction. Two instances of me ramming the back of someone who'd stopped, and two instances of others ramming the back of me. Clearly the guy at the back is to blame.

It's enough to show it's normally provable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There's 46 years of memories in there.

No, a driver who isn't overly careful. A collision isn't the end of the world.

Irrelevant to whether or not you can twist what happened above to be the other driver's fault.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey