OT If the EU want to do something useful.......rather than pick on vacuum cleaners

Yesterday afternoon I was in our local market town enjoying a coffee in a regional chain coffee shop - Not the Starbucks or the Costa's but one who is regional to SW England. It was a dank drizzly Tuesday afternoon.
An elderly customer sat a couple of tables away stood up to close the door, but was interrupted by one of the servers who said that they weren't allowed to close the door since they would get in big trouble from head office if the door was closed - apparently the shop is less inviting with the door closed. But we have got the heater above the door on - said the server helpfully.
Having finished my coffee and walking back to my car I noted that just about every shop I passed had the door open (presumably with a big heater above the door).
Are we now as a nation to stupid to open shop doors? I hate to think how much energy we could save by mandating that shop doors had to remain shut except when someone is actually passing though them.
--
Chris

On 15/10/14 11:53, news wrote:

Exactly. And all the offices that leave kWs of lighting on all night...

This isn't new - it's been done for decades. An open door generates unplanned foot-fall, and for many shops, that's the vast majority of their business.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 15/10/14 14:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If it were mandated against, all businesses would be on an equal footing. Or would people buy less?
On 15/10/2014 14:45, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm more likely to walk out of a draughty coffee shop.
On 15/10/2014 14:45, Tim Watts wrote:

The idea is to encourage impulse buying so, yes, people probably would buy less.
--
Colin Bignell

Then that's a good thing (probably) - cut down on waste.
On 15/10/2014 18:10, Tim Watts wrote:

People spending money helps boost the economy.
--
Colin Bignell

At the expense of all that wasted heat? I'm sure if legislated against, the shops would suddenly get creative.
Personally, whilst a closed door covered in posters puts me off (because I cannot see the wares) a full clear glass door and an excellent window display is as likely to have me walking in.
On 15/10/2014 18:24, Tim Watts wrote:

That is money going into the economy too.

... or go out of business and leave more empty shops on the high street.

The large retailers spend a lot of time and money researching what increases sales. I have little doubt that if that showed that a closed door saved more in energy costs than it brought in as sales, the doors would be closed.
--
Colin Bignell

There's no way closing the doors is putting more than a few useless shops out of business.
of course, if research shows that leaving the doors *open* gives them the edge over their neighbours who don't, then they will take that edge.
Which is *exactly* why it's good legislation (better than the hoover nonsense). Level the playing field, take the edge away, let them compete on stuff that does cause rampant wastage.
On 15/10/2014 21:49, Tim Watts wrote:

Being better than a pointless piece of legislation does not make something good. At best, it would be slightly less bad legislation.

OTOH, we could simply ensure there is enough power to go around and not worry if somebody wastes a bit. I am generally opposed to introducing any new legislation without a very good reason and, IMO, there is no particularly good reason to force shops to close their doors, quite apart from the problem of wording it so that they are not committing an offence simply by having a door open for marginally longer than required for a customer to enter or leave.
--
Colin Bignell

I agree that having enough energy capacity is better - then if they want to pay for and waste a bit - so be it.
My point is made in the *current* climate where we don't have enough spare capacity and gross wastage should be curtailed.

The amount wasted in shops isnt enough to matter, particularly as its only the smaller shops that don’t have automatic doors.
The other problem with this particularly stupid approach to legislation is with the big supermarkets that open onto internal malls which don’t have any doors at all, automatic or manual. It would be completely stupid to force them all to install doors now.
On 15/10/2014 23:17, Tim Watts wrote:

So, you are advocating legislation that will be difficult to formulate and that we will never be rid of, simply to deal with a temporary problem that could equally be solved by telling the greens in Europe where to stick their energy policies?
--
Colin Bignell

And the 10 year lag between telling the greens to fuck off and to get enough nukes built and online.
Or do we have enough coal that they've told us to shut down?
Between "bad legislation" and "my lights are going out" I'll take the bad legislation, please Bob.
ALL I was saying was my law was less crap than the hoover law and yet they passed the latter...
On 16/10/2014 07:47, Tim Watts wrote: ..

All I was doing was playing devil's advocate :-)
--
Colin Bignell

Or specifying that its fine to leave the door open when the shop is not being heated, and the problem with enforcement of that and defining just what is meant by being heated.
Makes a lot more sense to just allow the shops to do what they want to do.

It doesn’t level any playing field because the larger operations will already have automatic doors and the smaller ones hardly ever do and would have to pay a substantial amount extra to have one and that is a lot more than leaving the door open.

They would spend it on something else, or save it thus reducing our collective debt levels.