OT: HSBC to close Safety Deposit boxes

Barclays offer a service called Barclaysafe

You get a plastic bag ("pouch") which is stored off-site, and you have to request it (either sent to branch or your home). Monthly fee and retrieval fee. Docs only, no e.g. DVDs. I think they used to have a similar service for valuables, but I think that ceased (but I could be worng). Works quite well. I use it for life insurance policies and such (have scans and copies at home). Allan (just a customer of Barclays)

Reply to
Allan

Yes, I think that's how the management company that runs the building with a flat we have does it now. The last time I had to be present at an opening, to change some of the leases, it had to be booked some time in advance, which matches that idea. I hate the idea of changing bank just so that I can have some kind of deed box, but it is worth considering. Then they would close their scheme down a month after I had moved everything! Maybe have a second account at Barclays, and keep my main one at HSBC. Thanks for thoughts.

Reply to
Davey

That's interesting. When my branch closed a few years ago, I wasn't offered such a service. Just told to collect my documents. Perhaps they had a re-think?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did have a phone droid at Barclays try to persuade me one day that they don't have such a service, then he went and checked and admitted they do, so perhaps it's not widely known about. Or maybe they're just keeping it running to existing users, or something of that ilk.

I believe Barclaysafe outsourced to a third-party but badged as Barclays, but ICBW.

Reply to
Allan

HSBC are not a "chinky bank" and haven't been since 1992.

Reply to
Huge
[snippage]

So long as you encrypt everything properly, there's no problem.

Reply to
Huge