OT: How did we ever come to this?

Someone close to me has just got back from a foreign holiday with his kids. He now has Social Services on his case because one child has a sunburnt nose. Reported by the after-school club. He said, "If I wanted to apply physical punishment it wouldn't be by burning his nose." That didn't seem to help.
Bill
On 05/06/2018 20:35, Bill Wright wrote:

I blame Esther Ratbag.
--
Max Demian

No its the safeguarding culture which to be fair has missed real abuse and neglect many times, so everyone is running scared and passing the buck down the line. I have met Esther and she is certainly not suggesting children be wrapped in cotton wool at all. Often the sound bytes we get from various people are taken in isolation and do not tell the full story. I blame the editor. Brian
--
----- -

Could also be the child in question is on an 'at risk' list. We hardly ever get the full story with such things.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

I can assure you that this is not the case.
Bill
On 06/06/2018 07:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Esther speak with forked tongue.
She claims one thing, and works for (or acquiesces towards) another.
I blame Bichard too: he of the Soham murders enquiry.
Huntley's access to the girls was entirely through his girlfriend who worked at their school. If vetting had prevented Huntley from working at the secondary school (in itself doubtful), he would either have worked somewhere else or been unemployed, so nothing would have changed.
--
Max Demian

To be fair, Bichard himself pointed this out in his report. But by then the juggernaut could not be stopped.
--
Jack

On 06/06/2018 18:16, Handsome Jack wrote:

This is what Wikipedia says:
"He said there should be a system where anyone working with children should be vetted before working with them. This report was published in 2004. This report was in connection to how someone like Ian Huntley, who was convicted of the Soham murders in 2003, was able to work in a school, and how this could be avoided in the future."
So now we have Extreme Vetting.
(Do they have bell ringers at York Minster now?)
--
Max Demian

CRB checks for school staff had already been in place before 2003, since the 1997 Police Act in fact.

Of course, the logical problem here was that Huntley did not work at the school that the girls attended. Bichard acknowledged this inconvenient fact in his report ...
"1.11 From the summer term of 2002, [Maxine Carr] was the temporary classroom assistant to Year 5, which covered the class that Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells attended. They therefore came into contact with Huntley through knowing Maxine Carr, rather than as a result of his employment at Soham Village College."
... but then went on to ignore them.

Huh?
--
Jack

On 07/06/2018 09:02, Handsome Jack wrote:

Now people complain that all sorts of jobs (and volunteering schemes) are requesting CRB (now DBS) checks when they aren't needed - and I think asking for them is technically illegal: though this is not enforced very well.
Now it's not just "working with children" but "possibly coming into contact with them"; and not just "children" but "vulnerable people" which could include practically anyone.
Not that I care personally: I tend to adhere to a "never volunteer for anything" rule (which, I think, comes from the armed forces).
--
Max Demian

Not enforced at all.

That has been happening ever since the 1997 Act. And of course these people never want standard CRB checks for convictions; they always want "enhanced" checks that return acquittals, arrests, accusations and even mere police suspicions.

I do volunteer for things, and have done many of them. But the moment people come to me and say "You have to sign this and you have to comply with that", then I'm out.
--
Jack

On 07/06/2018 15:19, Handsome Jack wrote:

You need to go dogging
--
Adam

The after-school club are probably simply covering themselves against the possibility that an enterprising parent might accuse them of inflicting the nose damage themselves.
I don't know what the compensation for a burnt nose might be, but it probably isn't to be sniffed at,
michael adams
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 20:35:24 +0100, Bill Wright

He should have said it must have happened during playtime at school. Did they carry out a risk assessment before and after? He should have asked for documentary evidence of such assessment having taken place. :-)
On 05-Jun-18 8:59 PM, Scott wrote:

I think you have to send kids to school with sunscreen these days.
Or even hats.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/7919050/Death-of-the-low-factor-sun-cream.html
Is game for a laugh back on TV? Seriously, I do not think they are saying it was deliberate, just perhaps not protecting a minor. However what many of these over zealous folk often forget is that its experiences like this that teach us what is bad and what is good in the world. A few days of discomfort can teach a valuable lesson. They would have had a field day with me when I was 8, I got heat stroke in the Isle of Wight and had to spend several days indoors and being monitored for dehydration and infected burns. I never went out playing in the sun on beaches after that Brian
--
----- -
On 05/06/2018 20:35, Bill Wright wrote:

Nothing new, remember Marietta Higgs?
--
Adam

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 20:35:26 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

It arises through job creation. Persons in certain government departments wish to extend their authority/enlarge their empire.
Associated with "Little Tin God" syndrome.
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 23:14:54 -0700, harry wrote:

Yup, and it's yet another damn good reason to leave the EU. I call it the "self-perpetuating parasite" syndrome.
On 08/06/2018 17:13, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Your local district council and/or parish council are quite effective at that anyway, in or 'out' of the EU.