Looking for a quality die holder

Hi, I am after a die holder, one that will stand up to use by school pupils who have a tendancy to over tighten the grub screws stripping the threads, and making the holder useless. We have re-tapped the holes, but they get stripped again. Only the holder, any recommendations?

Reply to
misterroy

Helicoil the tapped holes - the material helicoils are made from is extremely tough - alternatively re-introduce the concept of discipline into the school - tell them not to then enforce the instruction.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I like the sacrificial screw and the helicoil suggestion. The enforcing the instruction does not work. They lack the experience to kn ow how much force is too much. I was once busy keeping things safe at the f orge and I could see a pupil working with a hacksaw. It was 8mm annealed si lver steel he was cutting. I saw him hard at it between the pupils I was su pervising at the forge. After about 25 minutes of him sawing, there was no- one to supervise at the forge, so I went to see him. He had made a 2mm deep cut, in 25 minutes of work. I had a go. I added very little to the cut, bu t I knew something was wrong. The only teeth on the hacksaw were in the las t inch at the ends. In the middle there was not even a sign of teeth it was rubbed smooth.

Reply to
misterroy

Clearly had no idea how much work it should be, so not clear to them that it was much more work than it needed to be...

My idea is to use thumbscrews -- the knurled fastener, not the torture device-- to limit the torque on the screw.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I was doing some DIY at someone's place where I didn't have any tools. Went to local hardware store and bought a hacksaw. It cut through one wood screw with difficulty after which it had no teeth. Took it back and after saying the chocolate hacksaw blade wasn't any use, got my money back.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've bought blades like that in cheapo bags from the DIY sheds.

Reply to
Huge