Sending multiple texts (SMS)

I'm treasurer of a small group which meets in a church hall. I'm sent the codes for the door lock system by email, and send them on to the committee. So whoever arrives first can open up.
Easy for me to set up an email group here to do just that, which I can then use each time. But a couple of members would prefer a text.
Is there an easy way of setting up such a group and saving it for future use? It's a Samsung Galaxy 5 if it helps. Mainly used as a phone and camera due to my age.
--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

There are some email to SMS gateway providers that will forward email content via SMS.
Alternatively if you just want an easy way of sending texts from the computer using your own phone as the carrier, then install the MightyText app on the phone. You can then text easily from a web page.
https://mightytext.net/
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 15:36:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Maybe a PC app and link to the phone via BT ?
I've used Gammu/Wammu in the past
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 15:10:29 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

I need a PC based program to work with a Nokia 2G feature phone (i.e. pre- Android). The old Nokia software doesn't seem to be around any more.
Need to be able to send multiple texts and manage contacts.
Cheers
Dave R

On 16/06/2018 13:15, David wrote:

Why not just use the Nokia's own user/group contacts?
--
Max Demian

Not that won't cost dosh. texts are not free like email. One problem if I were in your group would be that my phone is a speaking one and cannot step through the text one char at a time so if you have anyone on the system like that they will hear any code as a number or word, ie a whole number. I'd have thought that if they have no email then some kind of vvoice call might be ok if its just a few people. Obviously if its a significant number and you use bulk sending then normal free text services are waived as you are deemed to be a commercial user. Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

5,000 texts included per month is effectively infinite if you're not a teenager.
On 06/06/2018 17:29, Andy Burns wrote:

Do any teenagers actually use SMS texting these days? I'm pretty sure they'll be using Snapchat, Whatsapp, Instagram or at a push Facebook messenger. All of which are indeed unlimited. Well limited by data plan/wifi availability.

This is a bit of my problem. The age range I'm sending to is from 22-74. ;-)
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman wrote:

They all ought to tolerate SMS (I believe whatsapp requires a phone number as a starting point?) the young'uns might recommend whatsApp, but the old'uns are less likely to deal with that. setting a group on your address book still sounds favourite.
If you're Android it can be easier to edit the label for the group using the google contacts web interface rather than than on the phone, beware at one point android preferred sending a single MMS instead of multiple SMS, there's a setting buried somewhere
If it's an Apple, presumably it's so intuitive nobody ever needs to ask how to do it :-P

But only those who don’t have a mobile wouldn’t be able to receive texts.

If you send a text to a land-line, does not a computer ring them up and read it to them?
--
Today is Pungenday, the 12th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184

Sure, but I was thinking that that would not be as useful with a door code. With a door code you can look at the text when you show up first and need to use the code to open the door, maybe months after the door code has been sent to you when you happen to be first at the door.

Do you need Whatsapp on your phone to receive messages sent with that?
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Yes. Its only the iphone iOS that is smart enough to send it to another iphone if it decides that the recipient has one, and sends a standard text if it decides that the recipient doesn't have an iphone or ipad. It normally doesn't know that with a new recipient, only after you have received an imessage from that recipient before the new message has been sent.

Yep, plenty do. The one who gets me to download movies does.

He does that to.

And that’s the problem, now that have the cheapest plans with unlimited texts and voice calls to any landline or mobile in the country, it costs quite a bit more to have enough data per month for those others.

They are free on my mobile plan, so are voice calls to any landline or mobile in the country too. And all for $10 a month with 1GB of data.

Sure, but he is planning to send texts only to those who prefer texts to email. There are plenty like that, quite a few don’t know what an email is, let alone how to receive them. Most now can receive texts, even if quite a few mobile phone owners don’t know how to read texts.

Trouble is with a code they would have to write it down.
Much better to send a text so its stored in the phone automatically.

But any decent contacts app can group users and send the same text to all those in a particular group.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 17:14:01 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

My monthly plan (£10/month) includes 'unlimited' texts.
I am sure there will be a fair use clause somewhere, but the limit will be very high.

Because of low usage and BT Wi-Fi coverage being so good in London, I'm on PAYG. Costs me about £40 a year. I very rarely originate a call from my mobile, as I have free calls from my landline.
--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 00:10:22 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I am rarely in range of wi-fi, so I use a fair amount of 4G data. The only exception is in or near any educational establishment (I even discovered that I could get Eduroam in the cafe at Barts in London!). Otherwise I'd be on PAYG too.