Sending multiple texts (SMS)

I'm treasurer of a small group which meets in a church hall. I'm sent the codes for the door lock system by email, and send them on to the committee. So whoever arrives first can open up.

Easy for me to set up an email group here to do just that, which I can then use each time. But a couple of members would prefer a text.

Is there an easy way of setting up such a group and saving it for future use? It's a Samsung Galaxy 5 if it helps. Mainly used as a phone and camera due to my age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are some email to SMS gateway providers that will forward email content via SMS.

Alternatively if you just want an easy way of sending texts from the computer using your own phone as the carrier, then install the MightyText app on the phone. You can then text easily from a web page.

John Rumm

Maybe a PC app and link to the phone via BT ?

I've used Gammu/Wammu in the past

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not that won't cost dosh. texts are not free like email. One problem if I were in your group would be that my phone is a speaking one and cannot step through the text one char at a time so if you have anyone on the system like that they will hear any code as a number or word, ie a whole number. I'd have thought that if they have no email then some kind of vvoice call might be ok if its just a few people. Obviously if its a significant number and you use bulk sending then normal free text services are waived as you are deemed to be a commercial user. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

5,000 texts included per month is effectively infinite if you're not a teenager.
Reply to
Andy Burns

WhatsApp would be the modern way. Same as a text, only different and you can make chat groups easy. TW

Reply to
TimW

Does this help

Chris B

Which app are you using to send the texts on your phone. Just check mine and the "Messages" one allows you to set up a group

Reply to
leenowell

As others have intimated, all mobiles allow you to set up a group including a number of phone numbers and send a text to all of them at the same time.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes - that's what one of 'them' said. Was hoping I could do it without adding yet another app which which is bound to have downsides.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - I know that. But can that group be saved for future use? In my email prog, the group I've set up simply appears in the address book under the name I've given it. Click on that sets up an email to all the addresses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, the group is permanent and you can add new group members and remove some later too.

In my email

Same with texts to a group.

Reply to
Simon Jones

Do any teenagers actually use SMS texting these days? I'm pretty sure they'll be using Snapchat, Whatsapp, Instagram or at a push Facebook messenger. All of which are indeed unlimited. Well limited by data plan/wifi availability.

Reply to
Richard Jones

This is a bit of my problem. The age range I'm sending to is from 22-74. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They all ought to tolerate SMS (I believe whatsapp requires a phone number as a starting point?) the young'uns might recommend whatsApp, but the old'uns are less likely to deal with that. setting a group on your address book still sounds favourite.

If you're Android it can be easier to edit the label for the group using the google contacts web interface rather than than on the phone, beware at one point android preferred sending a single MMS instead of multiple SMS, there's a setting buried somewhere

If it's an Apple, presumably it's so intuitive nobody ever needs to ask how to do it :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

My monthly plan (£10/month) includes 'unlimited' texts.

I am sure there will be a fair use clause somewhere, but the limit will be very high.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But only those who don?t have a mobile wouldn?t be able to receive texts.

Reply to
Simon Jones

If you send a text to a land-line, does not a computer ring them up and read it to them?

Reply to
Huge

Because of low usage and BT Wi-Fi coverage being so good in London, I'm on PAYG. Costs me about £40 a year. I very rarely originate a call from my mobile, as I have free calls from my landline.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you need Whatsapp on your phone to receive messages sent with that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)