OT: Directional sense of smell and hearing in humans?

Sound: Ok, I didn't believe what I read that your brain can tell the direction of sound because one ear hears it first, I thought it was just volume. I mean detecting 2/3rds of a millisecond?! But I proved myself wrong - if you load your favourite piece of music into Audacity (a free sound editor), you can delay one channel (I delayed it by 0.68ms, the time taken for speed to travel the distance between my ears). Now listen through headphones. Although the same volume is in each ear (easily proved by pulling one earphone out), it sounds like it's entirely in one ear. Volume has the same effect, if I then made the other side 6dB louder, it went back to sounding like it was in the centre. I wonder why your brain uses both timing and volume?

Smell: This I can't believe though, and I don't know how to prove it except by experience. If you walk into a room, you have no idea which way a smell is coming from, yet I've read claims that you sense the smell through each nostril seperately and time it. A dog maybe, but surely not a human. I've never been able to work out where a smell is coming from without moving around the room and sampling different parts of it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Do f*ck off Hucker.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hi, its phase and volume for hearing. However as you will also realise simply using headphones and a dummy head for microphones tends not to work very well and makes the room sound far more echoy than just your ears do. There is a lot more going on with real ears on your head than meets the , erm ear!

I don't think its really fully understood even now. You can of course mostly also hear if a sound is behind you. Tests with volunteers with their head in a clamp suggest that tiny movements of the head made automatically do the job of testing for in front or behind something that is of course lost if you use headphones and microphones. As for smell no its not directional. Who said it was? Most dogs like drug detection dogs etc sniff and try different directions moving around a room.

If you can get hold of a copy of a JVC recording called adventures in Binaural its worth a listen on your headphones. However don't listen while walking about or cycling. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff wrote on 06/06/2018 :

Harry Bloomfield