urine smell in bathroom

If the urine is there solely because someone missed the target, bleaching the area may help.

More commonly though, the smell is due to leakage around the wax seal and the toilet has to come up to fix that.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Have a smell of urine in the grout around the toilet. How do I neutralize or eleminate the smeel short of tearing the ceramic tile out?

Reply to
Don Christner

On a related note, here's a stupid question. I want to replace the wax rings in our two toilets, as the house inspector detected moisture around them. So we turned off the water, got the bowls drained and were ready to go. But when my dad tried to remove the bolts holding it down, we found they are rusted out and we can't get them off. Dad isn't so well anymore and can't be of assistance.

Help please? I've never done wax rings before, but from what Dad told me it isn't all that difficult...after you get the bolts off.

Thanks,

KD

Reply to
KD

When you do get the smell out, hang up a sign that says, "In it, not at it".

Bob

Reply to
rck

Well, you're gonna have to get "creative". I like the hacksaw in this situation. Either cut vertically thru the side of the nut or horizontally and cut the stud off at the top surface of the porcelain.

You won't know what the bolt situation is until you pull the bowl. Plastic flanges have a TEE bolt while older brass flanges may have a long threaded stud in a tapped hole in the brass.

Inspect the flange carefully for any cracks or (if lead/brass) broken solder joints.

When you put the new wax ring on the bowl, use a hair dryer to dry off the porcelain and smear wax around to make a firm adhesion. Ditto on the flange. Make sure the wax is thick enough to compress about 1/2".

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You can also place a funnel on the back of the toilet.

Reply to
Dave

Now, the smell most likely isn't from the wax ring, sewer gases don't smell like urine, they smell like, well, you know what!

The smell is coming from UNDER the toleit. The caulk around the base is leaking or missing, so you have to remove the tolet and clean up the floor and sanitize it with a bleach mixture. After you remove the tolet you have to turn the bowl over and clean it out as well. If the tolet is old now is the time to get a new one. I like the Kolhler brands because they are water savers that actually flush everything with one try!

Since you are new to this, get a wax ring with a horn, it will be easier for you. Also pick up a new bolt kit. Once you cut the old bolts off you will see how easily they are to change.

BEFORE removing the tolet, get a good protector on the rest of the floor, like an old bedspread or matress cover. When you take the toliet off don't set it on the floor like it is when its installed. You have to lean it over because the old wax ring is on the bottom and it makes a terrible mess!!!

Once you remove the toilet, lay it down, then clean the wax ring off the toilet and the floor ring. Use a scraper. If you have a weak stomach, keep the trash can near you ;-)))

After scraping the old wax ring off, look for signs of floor damage. If there is get an expert to advise you concerning this. If no damage, you will see that the bolts slide out easily. Remove them and install the new ones. Put the new wax ring with the plastic horn or funnel facing down, some people put it on the toilet and then place the toilet over the bolts. Examine the situation yourself and determine what is best for you in your situation.

BUT BEFORE you put the new wax ring on, clean and sanitize the floor and scrap off any caulk, this is important, all caulk MUST be removed. Also clean the inside portion of the toilet bowl, this is where the smell is harvesting. Spaying after using a bleach solution is best. If you can take the toilet outside and wash is everywhere that is the best way. Then sanitize it with a bleach solution and rinse off. A great deal of smells come from around the tank and bowl area. Those darn women need to learn how to aim!

After COMPLETELY drying the toilet and base off. put the bolts in, the ring on and put the unit back on the floor, turning back and forth with your weight as your puttting it down to seat the ring, not a lot, just about 11 to 1 oclock movement. Then square it off and put your nuts on the bolts. DON'T use the nuts and bolts to pull it down to the floor, you will screw up the flange and maybe ruin the toilet! Your weight and small movements should set the toilet. Tighten the nuts firmly. Then, use a GOOD, NOT CHEAP silicon for bathrooms and caulk the bottom. Use a small tube because a caulk gun won't get behind the toilet area. BUY two tubes because what I'm going to tell you will prevent this happening again.

Practice caulking this way, cut the end off SMALL, about the size of pen opening and at a slant. Practice cauling something by PUSHING the tube, NOT PULLING it towards you. Pushing the tube while caulking makes the caulk go INTO the crack. Pulling the tube towards you only places the caulk on top of the two items and they will break loose eventually. When you practice with a cheap tube, use the best brand to actually do the caulking. If you practice for about five minutes and didn't cut the tube too big you will be able to force the caulk into the crake and the tubing nozzel will leave a perfect bead that you won't have to use your finger to remove the excess.

It is NOT a difficult job if you plan it out. Its messy, but not difficult. Hook up the plumbing and test, but don't sit on it unitl the caulk dries, you may break the bond and the next time Mother or wife misses the toilet the smell will come back ;-)

Lastly, dad may not be too helpful, but I sure wish I had mine here to get in my way....... It sounds like you two are close, and that is why I posted in such detail. Enjoy him and let him 'help' you on this, you will really miss it later in life.

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

I had the same problem it was the wax ring.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks Rich. I already miss Dad in a way. He has a rapidly progressing form of dementia, is ok sometimes but other times doesn't really know which way is up. I do plan to have him try to help as he can, since I think he'd really enjoy having something useful to do.

KD

and clean it out

easily they are to

the floor like it

is on the bottom

bolts slide out

toilet over the

portion of the

bleach solution

ring on and put the

to the floor, you

movements should

silicon for bathrooms

happening again.

opening and at a

towards you. Pushing

be able to force

Reply to
KD

If they are rusted bad try using a viseclamp.

Also you can put two wax rings in one spot.

Reply to
Colonel Polyps

are to

A HORN? Wow, I never seen that before. How do you make it blow? Does it sound just like my car horn, or more like a Tuba, saxophone, or trombone? Do they make them with other sounds too, such as a guitar or piano model, or one that sounds like a jackhammer or crying baby? I want more choices !!!!

Reply to
me

I agree it is probably the wax ring, but to get the odor out use Nature's Miracle, available at any pet store. It has enzymes that destroy odors, and is specifically formulated for waste products. Follow the directions, which basically say shake well, pour full strength on area, and go away.

Everybody splashes urine. Men on the floor in front; women on the underside of the seat and sometimes on the floor from there. For the people who made wisecracks: if you think your aim is better than mine, put dry kleenex around the toilet and check it out.

Reply to
Toyratter

This brings back memories. In the 50s I had a summer job working as a plumber's helper. I was about to install a toilet so I picked up some brass nuts to use on the flange bolts because they wouldn't rust. I got chewed out royally after I bolted the bowl down when my boss (the union plumber) saw what I had done. It seems that the objective was to use iron bolts and nuts so they they would rust, creating another job for him or a union brother.

I've hated labor unions ever since.

For your problem, I've used a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutoff disk to cut through the bolt or to section the nut, whichever is easiest. Wear eye protection though.

RB

KD wrote:

Reply to
RB

I did that. Not a drop on the Kleenex. But I always duct tape my c*ck to the edge of the toilet bowl before taking a piss. My wife saw that in some womens magazine, and it works great.

Reply to
me

Thank you for lightening up the discussion! You have made my day.

Reply to
Toyratter

So the moral of the story is to purchase brass nuts eh? Seems like there should be some sort of joke about keeping it warm enough to keep monkeys happy, but anyhow... :)

Just so I have a clear understanding of how this works - the bolt that I'm talking about cutting off, where is the other end going to end up when I cut it? The bolt goes through the base of my toilet to...?? Presumably somewhere that I can reach once I have removed the bowl.

Thanks!

KD

Reply to
KD

This topic (problem) had come up before. This key statement is "women on the underside of the seat."

Men do that too even when seated . The penis is withdrawn into the groin far enough that it points up. The pee hits the underside of the seat. The pee then runs down the outside of the front of the bowl and seeps around the base of the bowl. Not much pee spills in that direction but enough does to cause your problem with the smell. Look to see if there is a urine stain and also if that area is wet just after use. One way to find out is for whoever is using the toilet to put a paper towel on the floor at the front of the bowl and see if that gets wet after taking a pee. Then only that user will know if he/she is the culprit and fix the problem without anyone else finding out.

As another poster said, the smell is of urine, not of sewer gas. Its a urine problem, not a toilet seal leak. Laundry bleach will get rid of tthe smell. Urine smell is ammonia and chlorine will react with it to form harmless ammonium chloride.

Reply to
Klm

It probably won't go anywhere. The bottom end is hooked in a keyhole-shaped slot in the lip of the cast iron, plastic, or occasionally bronze flange fitting that the toilet bolts to. There will be a lot of gunk there once you get the toilet up, so probably the bolt will still be there, and you will need to manuver it to the big end of the keyhole with a screwdriver, so you can get it out. If there is no subfloor right under the keyhole, it will fall into the space between the joists, and may safely be ignored. Once you get the bolts cut and the toilet up, it will all be readily apparent. As to the new bolts- I prefer stainless, myself. Brass turns green, and is too easy to strip. Like everyone else said, don't overtighten the new bolts, or use them to compress the new wax ring.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Let them fall where they may. They will be outside the drain pipe and won't do any damage. You will want to replace them anyway.

RB

KD wrote:

Reply to
RB

I know my aim is better than yours, I sit down when I go and I'm too old to get a stream strong enough not to drop down into the bowl!!!!

Reply to
Geoman