OT: HD TVs

Not 1080 lines, not HD. Should be called "semi HD", not "HD ready". You wouldn't buy a "motorway ready" car that only went 35mph instead of 70. Scammers are everywhere.

On 19/05/2020 02:31, Commander Kinsey wrote:

as ready as it will ever be......
I guess you need to ask what the screen size is. It is said that the smaller sizes of tv, cannot really be of much use on true hd content. On the other hand some of the compression used looks awful I am told and on the other hand some of the clever up scaling of sd can look very good. With regard to DIY, why is it that the devices sold to mount them on a wall seem to me at least to be rather flimsy? Brian
--
----- --
On 5/19/2020 2:32 AM, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

The TVs are not all that heavy. I don't know of any that have fallen off the wall so I guess they work well enough.

I've seen one that did. But it was a 30" CRT.

Really? No point in a hi-res computer screen or phone, then?
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

On 19/05/2020 07:32, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I've got a 4k TV in front of me now. It makes a great monitor - at arm's length.
Across the room I doubt I could tell 4k from 1080.
HDR (more colours) is a different matter. As is enough bits on the transmission to take out the compression artefacts.
Andy

Depends how big it is. For example I'd say a 35" TV showing 1080 lines looks shit at anything closer than 10 feet.

I've never noticed a lack of colour on a decent HD TV.

Indeed - Eurosport for example is terrible for that. Probably to save money. Or to make you pay for Eurosport HD.
On 19/05/2020 21:10, Vir Campestris wrote:

Yes, I have a 43" 4k TV as a monitor, it's excellent, pin-sharp, great for CAD or just having lots of things open. Well worth the money.
(I understand it would work as a telly too, but I've never tried.)

Agreed.

--
Cheers
Clive

You don't use piratebay then?

See an optometrist.

I have one here which is a 22" widescreen HD. I can easily see it's not 1080 lines, and not even 720 is very sharp. A slightly smaller computer monitor (19") has 1200 lines and it needs them. Less than that is awful.
And the wall mount is indeed a piece of shit. Mind you, I'm using it vertically rather than horizontally, so it needs to take the weight of the TV on the joints, so it keeps drooping.