freeview HD Quality?

Hello..

We have just purchased the Humax HD freeview box, presumably I have set it up correctly (using HDMI cable etc) but the quality of the picture compared with freeview through the TV itself is not as good. The picture seems darker and the sound levels are lower too.

I shall be comparing the two different pictures from the worldcup football tonight (HD through the Humax box) and non HD through the TV.

Anybody else had any issues with the HD picture quality

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Check that there isn't a per input sound level offset that you can adjust on the TV.

If you watch other channels, SD or HD, from the Humax over the HDMI connection is the picture still dark?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've found the sound levels are lower too via a digital connection - but the picture setup is fine. Although I'm watching HD off satellite.

Have you got a components input on the set and an output on the STB you could try? It wouldn't be the first time digital and analogue circuits within your own system don't match, levels wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just got a Bush HD freeview box, and despite the box getting less than glowing reviews, I'm v pleased with picture quality. Humax are pretty good AIUI, so results should be good.

A few things to check [apologies if some seem obvious],

Brightness/volume - can you not simply adjust these? My Sony TV has seperate preset for HDMI input, was too bright at first. My Bush box has volume controls.

You are defiitely watching HD are you? My Sony can easily default to 'AV2' input, ie SCART signal from the HD box, so I end up watching HD pics in SD - make sure its HDMI you have selected on your TV, and check lead is in OK, perhaps try a different lead and/or HDMI socket? In fact, check all connections.

Try rescanning channels on your humax.

Reply to
Simon C.

Just to add... if I do this then pics ARE dark and quiet.

Reply to
Simon C.

On a related note, anyone know why there is such a delay on HD pics? They're at least 4 sec behind normal freeview [which is itself delayed at least 1 sec compared to analogue.]

Reply to
Simon C.

Compression.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I will check all the connections again, though the box is only connected to the TV via the HDMI cable. Will swap the cables around (from HD DVD player) see if that has any effect.

I know this might seem a silly question...but I take it BBC1 and ITV HD transmissions are not on a seperate channel from the normal?

Will rescan the system and have another look at it all.

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Yes they are - I think Channel 50 for BBC. I wish I could find out but we don't get Freeview HD till next year.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Yes they are! 50 51 and 52, BBC, ITV, C4. You'll see the 'BBC HD' logo faintly top right of the screen. Problem solved I hope :)

Reply to
Simon C.

He he.... I had not looked at the programme list.

Picture and sound now OK

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Yes..... thanks for info

(red face)

Reply to
alo

For info, BBC HD is a totally separate channel, with its own schedule;

Simon C.

But 4 seconds?? I could do the sums in my head in less time.

Reply to
Simon C.

chance do some other people stand? I can't imagine though how someone can miss that some channels have "HD" in the name when scanning around for a programme.

Reply to
John

Dunno about that, but that's an awfully long gap between I frames. And why else would compression take so long?

In fact thinking about it the SD path must include decompress, rescale, recompress and should if anything be slower!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Easy mistake to make with GIV GD HD, and it's high definition version GIV GD HD HD. Only on after 10pm each night though!

Reply to
John Whitworth

I must not drive computer after drinking. I must not drive computer after drinking. I must not drive computer after drinking. I must not drive computer after drinking.

Reply to
John Whitworth