[OT] "Genoa Bridge Collapse: The Road to Tragedy"

For anyone interested, here's a clear explanation with graphics (especially good on Android) on how that road bridge in Genoa collapsed last month.

italy-bridge.html

Pamela

Have people forgotten how to explain things using words all of a sudden then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Gaffs just reminding us that he is blind and the rest of the world should accommodate him in every case.

I doubt he gave a shit about such things when he worked with televisions and so himself was part of the advance of technology that has seen much information move from written form that could be converted to audio or tactile means to the situation now when delivery via video on a screen is very common.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Thank you. Not quite clear why the tower had to collapse.

Reply to
Max Demian

I wondered the same. Perhaps the sequence of events wasn't quite so well delineated as the description suggests, and with one and then two cables failing on the one side, it couldn't withstand the uneven stresses.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Golly. Two firsts.

The NY times has written a factual article and pamela has linked to one.

Wonders will never cease.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brian, admittedly you may not be able to see clearly what I mean but some online articles, such as the one I rewferenced, use the medium well to explain their story. Credit where credit's due. It makes a refreshing change from mutlicoloured popup nonsense advertising.

On the other hand, not very long ago the Wall Street Jounal never used photos in its articles. I suspect that's changed.

If it's not too personal can I ask how much vision do you have? I have the impression you retain some.

Am top posting, as you did, because I assume it is easier for you.

Reply to
Pamela

Presumably the tower overbalanced when the stays supporting the roadway on one side failed causing the lowered roadway to shift the centre of gravity such that the tower became unstable.

Reply to
Pamela

Currently it looks most likely that one of the stays corroded internally and couldn?t be seen to have corroded because of they are concreted and there are so few on that bridge design that the failure of one meant that the bridge collapsed.

Modern designs have a lot more stays as the article says.

Reply to
Josh Nack