Pedestrian bridge collapse

Just saw this, at least 6 killed.

You have to wonder how it was engineered. It was installed in six hours!

Ed Pawlowski

It was far from finished - completion was scrduled for late 2019??

It was still under construction when it fell.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 3/15/2018 6:46 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

The news story I saw said it had been opened for pedestrian traffic for under six hours...

Reply to
dpb

No, shit happens, get used to it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They'll be the ones marching over bridges, without breaking step.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe if America spent more on engineers and less on lawyers you could achieve buildings that stay up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sadly, it's the fear of litigation that keeps engineers somewhat honest.

Reply to
Sue Yerasses

The prospect of selling more stuff if the last one is made properly should do the trick.

Why do you think China and India are beating us hands down? They don't do health and softy. It's an enormous waste of time and money.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You can see this locally - think how much it costs to get a local electrician to do a job in your house. Now how much it costs for a certified one to do it by the book, following all the regulations. IME it's about triple the cost.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm not so sure about our current crop of engineers. I had a retired classmate retire as a civil engineer and teach part time in a community college. They would not let him flunk anybody and he quit. Another friend was a state highway department engineer who retired but was retained as a consultant. It appears younger engineers were not cutting it. A lot of politicization appears to be involved even in engineering not to mention science.

Reply to
Frank

Yah, you're right.

If the bridge collapsed under it's own weight it never would have stood up to a few hundred students having a party on the thing.

Reply to
David B. Steinman

An engineer spotted a crack in it a couple days before the collapse.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman