Wheatstone to the bridge.

Odd what you think you know, but clearly don't. Take this ear Salter Body Mass Index bathroom scales that I obhtug from a charity fubc for 3.48zu.

It has the usual compliment of four electrodes, two for each foot, and I rather assumed that Mr Wheatstone would be responsible for negating the sweaty foot factor.

Imagine my surprise when I has cause take a peek inside only to discover each pair of pads connected with a wire, so only two wires, one from each foot go to the circuit board.

Reply to
Graham.

Apologies for the esoteric posting style, it was intended for uk.rec.sheds

Reply to
Graham.

I just assumed you were posting with a phone ;-)

It's funny just how many commercial devices stray a long way from expected design theory into a maelstrom of random experimental stuff that works. It's that or those funny little chinamen are ever cleverer than we think.

Reply to
Scott M

Why do they need to connect feet to it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't actually see how measuring body resistance has any bearing on bmi. Indeed thare was an item on a tv show recently that said that so far, there is no really accurate way for gadgets made cheaply to do the sums and get the parameters required. But then I have also heard that BMI is no a discredited system in any case, it might actually be healthier for some people to have a high bmi than the official correct one.

All depends where the fat is stored. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It doesn't measure resistance, it measures capacitance I believe. The more fat you have on your legs, the better they act as capacitors. The scales then look up a table for average body fat based on age, sex & height.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops. Looks like I might be talking bollocks. Please ignore. ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

I simply do not believe these devices. When I joined a gym I was put on one of these as part of the initial assessment, according to the trainer the device was telling him I had the body of an athlete as I looked down over my expanded waistline!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Sumo wrestlers could be considered athletes... ;)

Reply to
Richard

It's easier than standing on your hands!

Reply to
Scott M

Darts player?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You expected proper engineering?

Reply to
Tim Watts

A jumbo calculator which I have had for about 25 years finally stopped working, so I opened it up before I binned it. Turns out that it had survived all that time on a single button cell. What is clearly supposed to look like solar cells was a strip of plastic with no wiring.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

LoL!

Reply to
Tim Watts

ARW

How about this Turkish iPhone:

Caecilius

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's very true.

I couldn't find my guitar tuner, and thought "I bet I could lash something up with an arduino" (like you do). Then started thinking "OK, first a fourier transform to convert from time to frequency domain..." After about ten minutes realise my "obvious" method won't work with a low-powered microcontroller.

Ended up downloading a free android app. Still wondering how those twenty quid quitar tuners work.

Reply to
Caecilius