OT: Gas permeable contact lenses.

Can anyone recommend an optician in the London area that knows these and can fit/supply?

My original one is now part of a chain and seems more interested in changing me to soft lenses, which I don't want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'er indoors used to wear them and used David Clulow for many years with much satisfaction, as did colleagues as they had a branch near office. I can't say that they still supply them but a phone call should reveal that.

I'll now wait for Sod's Law to deliver them as the chain your original one has joined :(

Reply to
Robin

You've got it in one.

They used to have a technician in the branch who could check the lenses. No longer the case - everything has to be sent away. And they were more interested in getting me to try soft lenses on a contract basis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see don't want soft lenses, but if your prescription is straightforward - no astigmatism worth correcting - then

are inexpensive enough to try. I find them very comfortable, wouldn't dream of using non daily disposables again and don't care if I lose one sparring.

They have to ask if you have a prescription - just lie and put Boots, Yourtown as the optician, they don't check.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I do have an astigmatism which the rigid lens sorts without any clever optics. Hence not wanting soft lenses. Which 'my optician' (who of course wore specs) claimed special soft lenses could sort. But the other thing is everyone I know who has worn soft lenses gives up on them at some point - usually after an eye infection of some sort which I've never had with hard lenses. And they also have a life of several years if looked after.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me and Sod go back a long way :((

And for my next totally useless suggestion ...

...is it worth checking with one of their larger/older branches if there's one convenient for you? Eg they used still to check such lenses on the premises at Covent Garden a few years ago; and your branch might not have wanted to suggest you switch 'cos of their targets, commission, bonuses etc.

Reply to
Robin

Yes, with astigmatism you can't as far as I know get daily disposables which all but eliminate the risk of infection.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I have astigmatism in my right eye and I have daily disposables. Up until recently it was focus dailies but I believe they aren't available any more so I'm being switched to another brand which are also suitable for astigmatism.

The interesting thing is the lenses have OK written on them around the edge so you know if they are inside out - not a problem with standard lenses but with astigmatism corrected ones it does!

Reply to
Richard Conway

I'm lucky in that both my eyes are the same, so don't need to worry about left and right. However, the problem with any toric lens is keeping it 'upright' at all times. How easy this is will also depend on the individual eye. But as I said, I'm not really keen on the costs of disposable lenses, given my gas permeable ones have a long life.

Not a problem with rigid lenses either. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, got that you don't want disposables loud and clear! Was just responding to Syd as he'd said he wasn't aware you could get toric dailes!

Not sure how they stay upright - I just assumed they naturally fell into that position due to the shape, in the same way they naturally re-centre when you slide them to one side.

Reply to
Richard Conway

I think it may all be down to just how 'barrel' shaped your cornea is. If the lens is locating on that. Some are weighted too in an attempt to keep them upright. The problem being if they don't stay on axis correctly, they can make the astigmatism worse than no correction for that at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My astigmatism is at the limit for contact lenses and they are just about useless as they wobble every you blink.

Reply to
dennis

Yes - I can imagine that with soft lenses. My astigmatism is mainly on the front of the cornea, so a hard lens sorts that without being toric in design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)