OT Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device

Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

It was only cheap, how much does one need to pay to get one that is a bit more inspiring!?

Reply to
Murmansk

I bought one of those late last year. Not yet got the hang of it, but all I want is to be able to: Start/Stop it easily; delete the recorded data in a simple way; start a new record. I was hoping to get some idea of spot speed, intermediate distance and time at a glance. The downloaded 'manual' is so basic it's little more use than if it had 'Izal' as its ()sole contents!

Reply to
PeterC

There's some vids about the Etrex 10 at

Some of these might provide some clues.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

isnt this why one has a smart phone?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if they will help.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks, I've had a look on YouTube and there are indeed a few useful videos but really in the age of smartphones and touchscreens this particular Garm in device is something of a dinosaur and reminds me of devices from the dis tant past which seemed impressive to us at the time but now we look back an d just laugh!!

The only advantages of it are that its battery lasts quite a long time, it' s waterproof and it's rugged

Reply to
Murmansk

Oh yes, I forgot to say, the manual is utterly and completely s**te!!!

Reply to
Murmansk

For when you really need an accurate position either on the hills or at sea a dedicated GPS device always trumps a 'smartphone' especially with the extended battery life and being built for the outdoors rather than posing down the pub.

Surprised you have a problem using one. The manuals were often not much more than a menu tree, the options fairly self explanatory.

I've still got (and use) a Garmin Geko 201 that's working fine at around 15 years old, a really basic 12 channel GPS with a four button interface and a screen with not much more resolution than a mobile from that era.

Reply to
The Other Mike