Oven with temperature readout

I am trying to find a reasonably priced single oven with a digital temerature readout. None of the sites I have visited boast of one. Anybody any useful recent experience?

Do you mean one which reads the true temperature as measured by a sensor, rather than just a digital display of what it's meant to be?
--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes
Pinnerite wrote:

I think any sensible manufacturer would not offer this as it would clearly show the variations in temperature as the control system cut in and out causing some customers to be dissatisfied and letters of complaint. I can't imagine other than a very high end oven employing a 3 term PID controller when a gradual variation +/- a few degrees from a simple bang bang controller would make no discernible difference in cooking performance.
On 30/05/2018 08:34, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've simply got a couple of "floating" thermocouples in my double oven wired up to a standard display. It is interesting how rapidly the air temperature drops when the door is opened, and how relatively slow it is to recover. I regularly use an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the linings, and sometimes use a probe in the joint. Several decades ago Cannon had an oven which came with a built-in probe and display.
On 30/05/2018 09:24, newshound wrote:

Not a conventional oven, but many years ago my parents had a Sharp microwave with a temperature probe. You could set a temperature and a time and it would heat to that temperature and then hold that temperature for the set time.
SteveW
On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 19:19:11 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

I wonder how that worked or was it a gimmick that didn't work that well. Small wires would vapourise in a microwave.
On Thu, 31 May 2018 03:05:37 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

How do you know that small wires were involved? Could be some non-comducting fluid device.
--
Dave W

On Thursday, 31 May 2018 19:16:56 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:

al

e.

PID

en

t is

re

des

Well most temp sensors use metal in their construction. Which is why you couldn't just put a LCD display in a microwave oven. I doubt you could just place a thermomerter in their either un less you has a suitable one, a meriry one might explode as would a standard alcohol fil led one.
In such an oven you get really rapidily changing temperatures too, and it s o much depends on what you are heating. I checked the o/p of my old oven ye ars ago. What yuo do is heat about 200ml of water for say a minute or two t hen measure the temerature rise and apply the specific heat capacity of wat er to work out teh power of the oven. You can't just stick a standard themo meter in the oven.

Not with the electronic sensors.

But you can put a standard thermocouple in a metal jacket in one;

You can anyway.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Corse you can.
On Friday, 1 June 2018 11:12:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

y a

ld

of

rm

ple

ay.

ll.

What do they sense then, try one on yourself I bet they'll indicate nosense .

but microwaves are effected by metal that's why you're not meant to put met al in a microwave oven.

prove it, go on should be simple enough to do, even yuo should be abale to place a thermometer in a microwave, swithc it on and measure teh temerature .

Not if you want to know the power of your oven, as microwave ovens are spec ified in watts not the deg C like convetnional ovens that;s why a micriwave has heat setting as a percentage of full power whereas gas or electric con ventinal ovens have things like temperature setting in C or F, rather than Watts for X time.

Temperature, fuckwit.

Nope, they have metal bodys, stupid.

That’s always been a myth. Plenty suggest you put foil over the bony end of drumsticks etc so they don’t get over cooked. Works fine.

Those Sharp temperature sensors do that.

Yep.

of a known amount of water, fuckwit.

Irrelevant to whether you can measure the temperature if you want to.
And when roasting something like a leg of lamb or slab of beef, what you care about is the internal temperature of the slab or leg, not the air in the oven.

But that doesn’t tell you the temperature that matters with a leg of lamb or a slab of beef etc.
That’s why you have meat thermometers and they work fine in a microwave too.
On Saturday, 2 June 2018 01:21:15 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

of

?
tem

ers

ble

the

rp

and

This proves you know nothing.

You shouldn't you put metal unless the manufacturer says you can and any te rms and conditions that need adhereing to. As a demo we're put small neon bulbs in a microwave and they light up, the neons burn out too and it doesn't do the oven much good either.

Plenty don't.
https://gizmodo.com/what-actually-happens-when-you-put-metal-in-a-microwave -1569906393
Just like any appliance yuo reealy need to understand it and it helps if yo u read the instructions.

you mean the £110 ones sure that;s mote than a paid for my oven. Why do you think they need to charge such an amount when I can buy a comple te DMM which can measure temeprrature for a 1/10th of the cost ?

but yuo need to think about it a bit more fuckwit. Something which you;re incapable of doing. That;s why they give time and power rating on microwave ovens whwre as conventalal ovens give time and temperature.

Exactly, so why don't they have temerature setting on microwave ovens. Why bother with a 800W setting why not have a 180C settign like on conventional ovens ?
Are you to thick to work it out ?
Some gutless fuckwit drunk desperately cowering behind
shit that always pours from the back of that desperately cowering fuckwit drunk, as always.

Worked well, I almost bought one myself but didn’t in the end.

Nope, they don’t. And its trivial to have them in a metal jacket like you see with thermocouples anyway.
On Thursday, 31 May 2018 22:04:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

al

e.

PID

en

re

des

.
Metal jackets aren't normally worn or placed in microwave ovens.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.
On 31/05/2018 11:05, whisky-dave wrote:

It was a fairly big (I think co-axial) cable with a pointed probe on one end to stick into the food and a 6.5mm jack-plug on the other end, with a socket in the top of the oven to allow the probe to rotate with the food. As the cable braid is connected to the oven metalwork, it will act as just another part of the oven - there is no unconnected metal with a gap between it and the oven metalwork and so no spark-gap.
SteveW
On 31/05/2018 22:07, Steve Walker wrote:

Ah, not as thick a cable as the one I remember, but it was 20-odd years ago!
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Sensor/RDTCT0039WRE0/1914195
SteveW
On Thursday, 31 May 2018 22:10:15 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

al

e.

PID

en

re

des

l.

go!

1914195

Not bad but it's more than I paid for my microwave oven, I'd expect to see them in poundshops like an other thermometer.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/digital-thermometer
I wonder where else you can stick it and get a valid reading ?