Oven with temperature readout

I am trying to find a reasonably priced single oven with a digital temerature readout. None of the sites I have visited boast of one. Anybody any useful recent experience?

Reply to
Pinnerite

Do you mean one which reads the true temperature as measured by a sensor, rather than just a digital display of what it's meant to be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes

Reply to
Pinnerite

Buy one of these probes that ensure meat is cooked through.

harry

why would any have one? Add your own if you must.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think any sensible manufacturer would not offer this as it would clearly show the variations in temperature as the control system cut in and out causing some customers to be dissatisfied and letters of complaint. I can't imagine other than a very high end oven employing a 3 term PID controller when a gradual variation +/- a few degrees from a simple bang bang controller would make no discernible difference in cooking performance.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Depends on your definition of 'reasonable' Bosch Serie 8 ovens are so equipped but it is the set temperature rather than the measured with 5 deg C resolution. There is also indication of warmup and when the temperature has reached the actual setpoint

A large (70 litre) single pyrolytic oven was about 750 quid, a smaller (45 litre) single combination oven something nearer 500.

You'd might possibly get actual temperature measurement on an oven intended for commercial kitchens, the only time I've actually seen it is on an environmental test chamber (circa 1m^3) which doubled as a beer fridge and also when required a warming oven for pasties and pies.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Somewhere I have one which hooks over a shelf wire and can be seen through the door. My caterer chooses to fly by the seat of her pants based on previous experience.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've simply got a couple of "floating" thermocouples in my double oven wired up to a standard display. It is interesting how rapidly the air temperature drops when the door is opened, and how relatively slow it is to recover. I regularly use an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the linings, and sometimes use a probe in the joint. Several decades ago Cannon had an oven which came with a built-in probe and display.

Reply to
newshound

And yet they have done with fridges.

Reply to
Hankat

I did that temporarily and found the set temp was close enough within +/- 10C so didn't bother again.

I used the themoncouple sensor from a simialr to this one.

whisky-dave

Yes, I agree they have put them in refrigeration. However my freezer never seems to change even if the door has been opened so I assume they take the measurement on or near the evaporator. There is also a fairly clever processor in there that runs the auto defrost interval that is varied according to how often the door is opened so it could also slug the temperature readout to stop it changing when the door is opened.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not a conventional oven, but many years ago my parents had a Sharp microwave with a temperature probe. You could set a temperature and a time and it would heat to that temperature and then hold that temperature for the set time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Jim K writes

Yes:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wonder how that worked or was it a gimmick that didn't work that well. Small wires would vapourise in a microwave.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How do you know that small wires were involved? Could be some non-comducting fluid device.

Reply to
Dave W

It was a fairly big (I think co-axial) cable with a pointed probe on one end to stick into the food and a 6.5mm jack-plug on the other end, with a socket in the top of the oven to allow the probe to rotate with the food. As the cable braid is connected to the oven metalwork, it will act as just another part of the oven - there is no unconnected metal with a gap between it and the oven metalwork and so no spark-gap.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah, not as thick a cable as the one I remember, but it was 20-odd years ago!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Isn't it a damn sight easier to hold a temperature 15C away from room temperature than 180C away?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Nice to see putting the expensive equipment to good use.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife