OT: Fetching gmails into Thunderbird

Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I get an error message saying that the username and password are incorrect :-
" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Andrew wrote:

They prefer you to use oAuth2.0 authentication, you're probably better off using IMAP than POP
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 11:54:10 UTC, Andrew wrote:

Yes, but - you may need to turn on POP/IMAP in Gmail first https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en
- you may need to allow less secure apps access https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Google don't make it very clear that instead of enabling the "less secure" option you can use oAuth.
On 10/01/2019 12:02, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

DAMHIKT
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

I tried it last time we had this conversation. It worked just fine here.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 10/01/2019 11:53, Andrew wrote:

I use Thunderbird to get mail from an old gmail account. It's set to imap.gmail.com port 993 and uses OAuth2 authentication. I don't claim any expertise, this is what Thunderbird set it to by default and it works fine.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

On 10/01/2019 12:28, Another Dave wrote:

Mine set itself up automatically without any difficulty some time ago. I use POP on the desktop machine and IMAP on the laptops. I guess I am less secure but I've not had any problems.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:53:02 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Also check that you are on the very latest version of Thunderbird.
Gmail (certainly with IMAP) performs an additional validation step whivh the email client has to support.
If the client is too old, all you get is "invalid password".
BTDTBTTS
Cheers
Dave R

Doesn't seem to matter when using POP3. My old version of Thunderbird picks up mail happily enough on port 995 with connection security set to SSL/TLS and authentication on Normal password.
--
Evremonde

Yes they like this three authentication stuff though, they keep on emailing me to tell me to get rid of my old fashioned client. Well bah humbug i say. Brian
--
----- --
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:58:15 +0000, David wrote:

Possibly not true ... I can't speak for Google, but quite a few services I used (Hotmail/Outlook, for example) are able to accommodate applications that are not 2FA aware by allowing you to generate an "app password". The idea being you use that specific password for your non-2FA app, rather than having to disable 2FA, log in, and then re-enable it.
Certainly with MS and the other sites I've done this with, there's an option in the control panel to revoke app passwords if needed.
I had to do this to allow my Android phone to pick up my Hotmail.
On 10/01/2019 11:53, Andrew wrote:

I only ever got it to work with IMAP

Yes, I do gmail fine on a variety of email clients that way.
On 10/01/2019 11:53, Andrew wrote:

To receive mail I can use pop.gmail.com port 995, security SSL/TLS
To send mail I can use smtp.gmail.com port 465, security SSL/TLS
I had to set this up after some Swiss hotel blocked me from sending mail using the Plusnet servers.
--
Michael Chare

On 10/01/2019 20:10, Michael Chare wrote:

<snip>
Same here, but I use 2FA with Google so had to use a specific app generated password for Thunderbird on Windows 10.
Only thing is Thnderbird seems a little slow in authenticating with Google, not a big thing but it is in the order of a handful of seconds ;)
On 10/01/2019 11:53, Andrew wrote:

Well its what I do, but using IMAP. In fact I have Google pull my BT mails into Google....
... you need to enable POP first, but as Google gives you such a big mailbox why not leave it on their server?
Dave
On 11/01/2019 11:57, David Wade wrote:

But I use Thunderbird to fetch all my BT emails and want to collect gmails in the same way, not read my BT emails from with gmail.
On 11/01/2019 12:01, Andrew wrote:

I think the idea is that you can have gmail do the donkey work aggregating multiple external email boxes. Then you can then download those along with the actual gmail messages.
--
Cheers,

John.