OT - decent Adroid phone ?500 or under?

Following on from the other phone thread, now looking at a replacement phone.
Preferably £500 or under.
Average for camera, SD slot, frequent updates, that kind of thing.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Dave R

David wrote:

for frequent updates you can't beat a Pixel, they're kinda pricey compared to their Nexus predecessors, camera is particularly good due to smart software rather than having umpteen lenses.
I'd at least wait to decide until the rumoured Pixel3 "lite" is announced.
Google dropped the idea of SD slots ages ago.
On 10/01/2019 11:17, Andy Burns wrote:

I am NEVER buying any hardware from Google again (certainly not directly), after they bricked my wife's expensive Pixel C with an upgrade. Their customer service is appalling, I gave up out of sheer frustration in the end. This was a known, generic fault.
Well under your budget, but I have had a series of Moto phones (currently G5) and been very happy with them.
newshound wrote:

As in can't even boot into recovery mode wipe and sideload a factory ROM?
On 10/01/2019 12:54, Andy Burns wrote:

Correct
newshound wrote:

Pretty poor show. I will accept that Apple are more likely to sort that type of problem if you take it to the genius bar. But wouldn't they replace/refund? I don't think I'd accept a manufacturer firmware upgrade bricking a device then turning their back.
On 10/01/2019 13:23, Andy Burns wrote:

You can go to an Apple shop and shout, no such thing for Google. Best you can do is speak to someone on the phone and that isn't easy at all. They should take a lesson from Amazon who, IME, are superb.
On 10/01/2019 10:58, David wrote:

There must be dozens that meet that spec. I am quite happy with one of these
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/samsung/galaxy-a6.html #!colour=black&capacity2GB&dealType=sf&tabID=specificationData
But without knowing what you value most I suspect you will get a multitude of suggestions.
--
Chris B (News)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:17:45 +0000, Chris B wrote:

colour=black&capacity2GB&dealType=sf&tabID=specificationData

Lots of suggestions is good!
That is an interesting phone; the price is far lower than I expected.
Cheers
Dave R

On 1/10/2019 5:58 AM, David wrote:

I'm pleased with my new Nokia 6.1. It comes with a dual-SIM slot - the second slot can be used for either an SD card or a second SIM. I bought it as Oreo, but it was updated to Pie as soon as I started to set it up. Decent size screen, but not stupidly big. Does wi-fi calling, too. Charges very quickly.
On 10/01/2019 11:45, S Viemeister wrote:

The Huawei P20 Pro has nice hardware, but I don't trust Huawei with software that has access to my data and they did break all 3rd party launchers with some idiot update the other month (need to run an adb shell command to "fix" it).
Sadly Huawei's are not good candidates for open source Android as far as I can see - ironically Samsung is very re-flash friendly if you don't have or care about warranty.
--
Email does not work

Lots but I've been happy with Moto G, may wife has the G4, I've got the G6+, both dual sim at no extra cost. Up to 128Gb SD card, can be formatted as system memory rather than just storage memory. *comes with caveats if you have a fault with the SD card though.
SIM free, so SWMBO has Giffgaff in one and Three data sim in the other. I have 321 in one and Three data sim in the other.
Not sure about the frequent updates, some Lenovo users complain but then they always have to be on the latest. I've just had a security update but not the latest Android.
--
AnthonyL

On 10/01/2019 12:35, AnthonyL wrote:

IIRC my G5 is dual sim although I have not used it, also has a removable battery (not that I need that either). I don't normally use much phone memory but the ability to format SD as system sounds great.
On 10/01/2019 12:44, newshound wrote:

ISTR they have removed the facility again from later android versions...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 10/01/2019 10:58, David wrote:

Why buy new? There are lots of used phones available at good prices. I've been using a Note 4 since it was new and would probably look for a used replacement if it died.
On 10/01/2019 10:58, David wrote:

Redmi Note 4, got a few in the household, love them.
Approx £130-150
On 10/01/2019 12:57, R D S wrote:

For a little while. I have been contemplating buying one of these:
https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-gold.html
But I am not sure about support if it goes wrong. Xiaomi have quite an extensive range, so deciding which phone to buy is not easy.
Did you buy your phone in the UK or order it from abroad?
--
Michael Chare

On 10/01/2019 19:43, Michael Chare wrote:

From China but on Ebay.
Had about 6 various Redmi phones between family and friends, one was dead and the seller was useless but got reimbursed via Paypal.
The (working) phones have all been great, quick and responsive.
On 10/01/2019 21:19, R D S wrote:

Thank you.
--
Michael Chare