Thunderbird 78.4.0

Presumably after a recent upgrade the 'buttons' shown in a newsgroup posting are shown in the following order

reply, followup, forward, delete, more

Previously I had configured "reply" out of the way so I didn't select it and had "followup" as the first entry.

Now I don't seem to be able to re-order the buttons so that followup is the first entry and reply is after delete.

Does anyone know how to achieve this? Thunderbird web help suggests with toolbars clicking on a blank space and selecting configure. This works with the main tool bar but not with the toolbar that appears in each newsgroup posting

Reply to
alan_m

Is this of any use? I don't have 78.4.0 so can't check what it does.

Jeff Layman

The old way of editing toolbars no longer exists, but there's an add-on that allows it (it's a bit basic but it does work)

"Message Header Toolbar Customize"

Andy Burns

Thanks for that - now sorted with a minor bit of head scratching when the names in the toolbar Customize window didn't match the button names :)

Reply to
alan_m

Apparently Thunderbird have changed the extension api.

For me it was QuoteCollapse that stopped working. I downgraded to 68 and will wait until Thunderbird has stabilised before upgrading.

See following comment from quote collapse developer.

---- QC 2.0 used an intermediate API to make it work with TB6x. TB78 dropped that API ("legacy webextension") while the new API ("mailextension") lacks important features (such as content scripts for mail display panes) which will not land before TB82. So for TB78-TB82, we have to use yet another new intermediate API ("experimental API") knowing it might be gone soon, too. I cannot promise for that new rewrite to appear soon, unfortunately.

----

Reply to
Pancho

yes, I found this too.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled from an older version I'd saved the

*.exe for. And disabled automatic updates.
Reply to
JNugent

Using the "Message Header Toolbar Customize" from the link in a previous post I have re-ordered the buttons.

I used the beta version dated 31 Oct from here

this page gives download and install instructions. I found problems downloading with Firefox so used MS Edge (spit).

Once restarting Thunderbird the buttons with text had changed to default icons. If you then right click on any of the buttons in the newsgroup posting header a configuration screen will appear giving the option to restore text rather than icons and gives the ability to re-order the list. Note followup = smart reply in the customise list.

Reply to
alan_m

you don't need to dick around downloading directly from the website, it installs easily using the standard thunderbird search from within tools/add-ons/extensions

Reply to
Andy Burns

Of course you could just have downdated to the one which actually works or learn the keyboard shortcuts, but in Tbird I find those totally illogical. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thanks - that seems to have done the trick.

Reply to
Martin Brown