OT: Farewell to UK coal

So you blame Scargill for all the working mens troubles! I think you are pushing it a bit far there but you may be right and everyone that works should hate the man.

But that has already been explained, the government had to reduce our dependency on coal or some other nut would have tried again.

It is the government responsibility to protect all its people unlike the greedy unions that only care about their members.

Scargill showed that the miners were a threat to the UK and they were dealt with as such.

Reply to
dennis

It had nothing to do with wages, Scargill used the miners as a weapon against an elected government, the government did what was required to destroy that weapon the same as they would if any other group of workers tried to overthrow an elected government.

Reply to
dennis

What principle are you saying Scargill had?

Reply to
dennis

It is the unions' job to care about their members...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting. Thanks, Andy.

A couple of other related links. This one from The Register, re-states Zharkova's theory

and this is one referred to in that article
.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Says Harry, that world-famous and acknowledged expert on the global climate and what controls it. ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

driven-by-double-dynamo

Pah. The Royal Astronomical Society... What would they know about the sun, compared to Our Harry?

zharkova/

So this is an astrophysicist and mathematician (Ukrainian, not Russian, anyway, but that's a minor difference, right?), who came over here in

1992 - 23 years ago, 17yrs after getting her first degree - as a senior Royal Society vistor, and has been researching and lecturing in the UK since.

Some "mad Russian", eh, Harry?

Reply to
Adrian

You think?

You can think what you like as it's non of your business. Unless a member of the NUM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trying to put words in another's mouth again dennis?

Might be better to talk some sense yourself first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So all the union legislation enacted afterwards was only applicable to the NUM, dennis?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Something many find it hard to understand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is up to an individual union to make its own policy. One might decide to protect all jobs at all costs. Another might look at its industry as a whole.

But it's pretty irrelevant anyway. Thatcher got her way and virtually abolished unions in practice. So we now have a low wage high employment country. With dreadful productivity. And a range of income from highest to lowest which reads more like a middle east sheikdom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. And I'll make my own judgement about which one is doing a better, more honest job of looking after its members, instead of the interests of the union bosses (more members = more job security for these bosses).

A union, equally with the industry its members are engaged in, has no right to think it ought to exist for ever. Canals were the fastest mode of transport until the railways got going, then went into decline. Railways in their turn have been undone by road transport.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Davey writes

They were designed to run on the type of coal regionally available to that railway company. Created a few problems when engines were moved around following nationalisation.

Reply to
bert

To take him back to his rent free London home no doubt.

Reply to
bert

Yes. They did a lot better under his predecessor Joe Gormley and he wouldn't have led them into a fight they couldn't win.

Reply to
bert

And many fail to understand that that is the biggest problem with unions, they spread greed (and try to blame Maggie for it).

Reply to
dennis

You said it, you even quoted it above. If Scargill hadn't done what he did the government couldn't have used it as an excuse to attack the unions could it?

I think you need to read what you write.

Reply to
dennis

It becomes my business when they try to overthrow the government. It becomes my business when they intimidate others whether union members or not.

Reply to
dennis

Why should they single out the miners, they showed that unions used intimidation and vote rigging and that all unions need to have laws to control their behaviour.

Reply to
dennis