Dry wall loadings

for dot'n'dab and studwork.

I have some drywalls upstairs and I have a few of these to try:

They seem quite good, but it brings me back to the question: roughly what weight can a drywall support per fixing point, assuming the studwork is itself strong or it is well dabbed onto blockwork? This would be 12mm plasterboard. This fixings have some "interesting" loadings quoted but I am not sure if I believe them!

I don't have a great feel for this - and hanging things like radiators full of water does give me cause for concern.

Obviously I go for the studs if I can, but it's not always possible.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

short term quite a lot, but long term not much at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d9c7ba83-2ab1-4d59-961c-ccf83cb39255 @googlegroups.com:

Depends if you have kids who pull on such things.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Which is it dot n dab or stud Work? If the PB is stuck with dabs to blockwo rk/brickwork then slightly deeper wall plugs are all that's needed. If it i s a studded wall then try to fix to the studs and if you cannot then use ho llow wall anchors, invest in a setting tool they are cheap enough and do le ss damage to the PB than trying to use the screw to splay out the anchor. I have hung kitchen cabinets and quite heavy radiators with these and have n ever had any issues despite a rather robust grandson.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

(With apologies for accidentally emailing that first time)

On 12/07/15 11:48, Tricky Dicky wrote: > Which is it dot n dab or stud Work?

Both - in different areas.

Ok - thank you - PB must be stronger than it feels!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sometimes you can use frame fixings.

Reply to
harry

Think I'd define "sligthly deeper wall plugs" as "short frame fixings", that is something around 60 mm 12mm PB, 12 mm gap, 36 mm in the wall, remembering the weight is 24 mm from the pivot point of plug top/wall face.

+1 quicker as well.

Depends on the direction of load. With the fixing in sheer PB is surprisingly strong but pull the fixing and it may well just rip a hole in the PB. Hollow wall anchors spread the load and clamp the PB near the hole so are about the best fixing for PB there is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice