OT: fabric conditioner

I sort of know that some fabrics don't want fabric conditioner e.g towels so they stay absorbent, microfibre dusters because it stops their "scratchy" fibres catching the dust, materials with special coatings etc.

But why would a 100% cotton denim shirt say not to use fabric conditioner?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I bought some denim shirts a couple of years ago. Stiff as boards and uncomfortable to wear. Looked on the internet for solutions, and the commonest one IIRC was 'use a fabric softener - it's what it's for'. So I did, and they eventually softened up.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Probably makes it limp, the shirt I mean.

Reply to
jon

Unless the cotton has some special finishing treatment (and there is quite a range of these) then maybe the manufacturer is being over-cautious. I have several "dry clean only" garments that can be safely machine washed.

Modern conditioners are much improved from the early days and good brands (eg Lenor) will not make towels water-resistant. Nor do they accumulate noticeably.

Reply to
Pamela

Less able to absorb sweat? The ability to soak up and then allowing it to evaporate is possible one reason that 100% cotton garments are recommended in hot weather.

Reply to
alan_m

I've put it in to all mixed washes with no apparent effect on the clothes etc in the wash. Could it be something to do with temperature? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have stopped using fabric conditioner. As well as the monetary savings the soap drawer now stays clean & the clothes no longer have a foul chemical smell that the manufacturer classes as pleasant.

Reply to
wasbit

It also gunks up machines, producing whiffs & mould. And is pointless anyway.

Reply to
Animal