OT: Even for an Audi driver, that took some doing...

The Natural Philosopher

Well, you could say it was an Auto Union.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You could also say "Mary had a little lamb", but why would you bother?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was in connection with the previous poster pointing out that two Audis had collided, Auto Union being the main constituent of the brand we now know as Audi.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Officially they deny that the 'AU' in Audi has anything to do with the initials of Auto Union, let alone the 'DI' meaning Deutsche Industrie, or Deutschland Ingolstadt etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wonder why when they happily continue to use the four rings which once looked like this.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 8:58:03 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wr ote:

-way-m4-motorway/

Happened me. I was last in a line of overtaking cars and when the road clea red I was met by an elderly gentlean merrily and unconcernedy going on his way, the wrong way. Must have got confused at a roundabout, which he probab ly went around the wrong way on the incorrect assumption that where he wish ed to go lay to his right. It took a fraction of a second to comprehend what was going on.

Reply to
paul.mccann

Audi existed before Auto union

"On 25 April 1910 the Audi Automobilwerke GmbH Zwickau (from 1915 on Audiwerke AG Zwickau) was entered in the company's register of Zwickau registration court."

"In 1932, Audi merged with Horch, DKW, and Wanderer, to form Auto Union AG, Chemnitz."

"On 1 January 1965, Volkswagenwerk acquired Auto Union GmbH from its parent company Daimler-Benz. The new subsidiary went on to produce the first post-war Audi models, the Audi F103 series, shortly afterwards"

"The new merged company was incorporated on 1 January 1969 and was known as Audi NSU Auto Union AG, with its headquarters at NSU's Neckarsulm plant, and saw the emergence of Audi as a separate brand for the first time since the pre-war era."

"In 1985, with the Auto Union and NSU brands effectively dead, the company's official name was now shortened to simply Audi AG. At the same time the company's headquarters moved back to Ingolstadt and two new wholly owned subsidiaries; Auto Union GmbH and NSU GmbH, were formed to own and manage the historical trademarks and intellectual property of the original constituent companies (the exception being Horch, which had been retained by Daimler-Benz after the VW takeover), and to operate Audi's heritage operations."

Its all very confusinbg with mergers and splits but esentially Audi goes back furher thah auto union, and there is no reason except intellectual pretention to use 'Auto Union' today.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They do a little more than deny it. They have come up with a very detailed alternative explanation of the name being invented 20 years before Auto Union was created.

See "Birth of the company and its name"

Reply to
Nick

Barry Cryer told this one on ISIHAC.

I heard on a traffic report that someone was going the wrong way on the M1. I thought I'd better warn my wife as she was going to Leeds, so I called her mobile. "Watch out - someone's on the wrong side of the motorway" "One? There's hundreds of them!"

Reply to
LSR