OT: Electricity prices again

I was in an uncharacteristically good mood this morning, Then I read an email stating our business electricity is going up to 88p per unit! I feel quite sick.

88p! I thought it going up to 44p recently was outrageous but it just jumped to double that!

Is this the state things are at or are they taking the piss?

Reply to
R D S

Andy Burns

88p is after the reduction, unit price is £1.22 per kwh.
Reply to
R D S

Hope someone can check and confirm (or otherwise!) the figures.

A quick look at the costs of running a generator using

According to the info on that page, it will provide 6.3kW max, but will run for 6.9 hours at 3/4 load.

6.3 x 3/4 = 4.725kW 4.725 kW x 6.9 hours = 32.6kWh

The petrol tank is 18 litres. Assume £1.55 per litre; so to fill the tank costs

18 x £1.55 = £27.90 for 32.6kWh, which works out at 85.6p per kWh.

That's considerably cheaper than £1.22 per kWh, and a bit cheaper than

88p per kWh. You've got the cost of the generator to factor in, but the longer it's in use the more that cost is absorbed. All costs should be tax-deductible for a business.

It may be possible to get a more cost-efficient generator, but I haven't checked.

Reply to
Jeff Layman