[OT] Economics of cheaper slower postage from suppliers

I guess I'm a bit of a stingy old git, because I will always pick the free postage option unless I really need the product in a hurry. But what amazes me is just how slow some of the free postage services take sometimes: I've had things take up to two weeks sometimes, and I live within 50 miles of London, so I'm not on some remote scottish island that only gets a boat once a week.

What I don't understand is the economics for the supplier, who is usually Amazon. I understand it'll be cheaper to send items when there's spare capacity, and therefore the free postage will typically be delayed by a day or two. But surely at some point the costs of storage along the chain must start to outweigh the savings in waiting for spare capacity on a van or train?

Or is it also intended to push people towards paying more for postage, in which case do amazon et al. make money out of the P&P charges and therefore want to make things uncomfortable for tightwads like me?

Reply to
Caecilius

It's just standard price discrimination, they charge those who will pay a premium. Stingy old gits like me often find you get you get next day delivery without paying extra. Presumably they actively manage the next day stuff, and the rest takes its chance. What they won't be doing is spending anything to ensure a delay. Cluttering up vans or depots with stuff is just an opportunity for damage or theft. Beating the target makes buyers feel good and keeps them on board.

Reply to
newshound

IME, it's not the delivery which is particularly slow, it's the picking and despatch of the goods. It's reasonable for them to prioritise the orders which have selected faster delivery, and I suspect orders without faster delivery methods get lower prioirity schedulding in their warehouses.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I usually select the Ebuyer free delivery (5 days) and it often arrives sooner. Ordered a graphics card late Sunday night and it arrived an hour ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm more surprised that most of the times I go for free postage, the item arrives next day or next plus one regardless.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The thing is with Amazon, you don't know where it's coming from. I spent five weeks in an Amazon depot over Christmas, and worked in the section that was routing goods to other Amazon depots, some in response to orders and some for storage. Some of the receiving depots were on the continent, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Poland come to mind. When I spent a day in the packing section (outbound, Amazon speak) some of the oders going out were going to France.

I usually take the cheapest option, too. Sometimes stuff turns up in two or three days, sometimes it takes longer. And if an email received on Tuesday says that an item will be delivered on Friday, it usually turns up on Thursday. It's all automated so no-one's giving any thought about which option you've chosen. Whether the system is capable of calculating 'this lorry looks a bit light, so better start packing some free delivery orders to give it a worthwhile load' I don't know.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

And I often find that amazon.de has something not listed on amazon.co.uk

- and yet, I can get it via Prime the next day...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm always amazed at the cost of stuff sent from China. A couple of years ago I bought a little USB adapter thingy for 65p *post paid*. It took two weeks to arrive - by air mail - but surely the Royal Mail part of the delivery must have been more than 65p* - unless they have preferential rates.

  • I've no idea how much first and second class post costs since non value indicating stamps came in.
Reply to
Max Demian

I find that the worst postage service these days is royal mail, especially if items have been sent second class. And like you I don't live in a remote rural location.

Amazon they delay items with free postage so that can sell their Prime next day delivery service. However at busy times they can still manage to deliver within 12 hours - AND during the evenings and weekends.

Reply to
alan_m

That's what I suspect. A few years ago, I'd often get free delivery within one or two days. Now that doesn't happen and I wonder if they puroposely delay the free delivery to push prime.

And they really push prime don't they? I've accidentally subsribed twice and had to cancel immediately because Amazon make the "yes, subscribe to prime" the easiest thing to click to confirm the order.

Reply to
Caecilius

I took up the free 30 day subscription in order to use Amazon Video, but everything I want to watch is a further charge, so I'll probably cancel it again.

Reply to
Huge

I've got netflix anyway, so Amazon video doesn't give me that much more. As you say, a lot of the decent stuff is chargeable, and I'm too tight fisted to pay for free delivery (I sometiimes think I should have been born in Yorkshire, Scotland or Israel).

Reply to
Caecilius

I always use the free option with Amazon and it usually arrives earlier that stated, I've never waited longer than a week for anything even with 'marketplace' vendors.

Reply to
DJC

Until you find a chinese vendor pretending to operate in the UK!!

Reply to
alan_m

I had a UK Amazon supplier who took over 15 days for 120miles and another who took 11 days supposedly by Royal Mail.

Reply to
Capitol

on 22/03/2017, Caecilius supposed :

I have been let down several times recently, with items ordered from Ebay. Items which have not been delivered at all, items where the seller has somehow managed to register a wrong email account with Paypal, so the seller doesn't get the payment, doesn't send the item and I am left waiting and wondering when it might turn up.

My latest purchase was an item ordered from a supposedly UK seller, with the item sent from the UK - it said Glasgow, Ceredigion, United Kingdom. Glasgow in Cardiganshire????

My receipt from ebay says delivery from outside UK and taking between 3 and 6 weeks to arrive, a seller with zero feedback. Yes, I should have checked the ad more thoroughly, but there is just no way to complain to ebay that the ad is deceptive. I am fairly sure this will prove to be another item which doesn't turn up, in the meantime the seller borrows my money.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield