Slower Curing PVC Cement

They all dry fast. You're doing it the right way. Just make sure your marks are lined up exactly and you should be good.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I had a small plumbing project which required several elbows on a PVC line. The cement acts so fast that you only have a few seconds to get everything positioned correctly. Is there some slower acting PVC cement that allows y ou a minute or two to adjust things before it sets up?

Knowing that I didn't have a lot of time to adjust things after applying th e cement, I hooked everything up without the glue and marked the positions of the pipes and elbows with a magic marker. Then I took it apart and glued one part at a time, being sure to get the alignment marks lined up on the adjacent pieces.

Seems like there should be a slow acting glue to allow some adjustment time to make the job easier.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

There are fast set but nothing of a very long time. Oaty orange is a little slower, but not minutes.

Your method of marking is common and it is always good to fit everything first.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

e. The cement acts so fast that you only have a few seconds to get everythi ng positioned correctly. Is there some slower acting PVC cement that allows you a minute or two to adjust things before it sets up?

the cement, I hooked everything up without the glue and marked the position s of the pipes and elbows with a magic marker. Then I took it apart and glu ed one part at a time, being sure to get the alignment marks lined up on th e adjacent pieces.

me to make the job easier.

Every plumber I have seen working on that type of material always cut and m ark and preassemble and then actually assemble with cement.

Reply to
hrhofmann

ine. The cement acts so fast that you only have a few seconds to get everyt hing positioned correctly. Is there some slower acting PVC cement that allo ws you a minute or two to adjust things before it sets up?

g the cement, I hooked everything up without the glue and marked the positi ons of the pipes and elbows with a magic marker. Then I took it apart and g lued one part at a time, being sure to get the alignment marks lined up on the adjacent pieces.

time to make the job easier.

mark and preassemble and then actually assemble with cement.

After 60+ years, I'm finally doing something right.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

You want "Heavy Duty". It is for big pipes where you need some time so it is slower. I think Oatey is the black can

Reply to
gfretwell

e. The cement acts so fast that you only have a few seconds to get everythi ng positioned correctly. Is there some slower acting PVC cement that allows you a minute or two to adjust things before it sets up?

the cement, I hooked everything up without the glue and marked the position s of the pipes and elbows with a magic marker. Then I took it apart and glu ed one part at a time, being sure to get the alignment marks lined up on th e adjacent pieces.

me to make the job easier.

I feel your pain. I've been in the same position. Once in a while you have a tricky situation where it would be desirable to have more time so you can do two or more at the same time and still be able to position them. I couldn't find any slow glue. I resorted to the marking method too.

Reply to
trader_4