Question on CPVC cement...

Can I use CPVC cement on standard PVC? Or do I have to have a can of the regular stuff, to put my project together? Just wondering, and really don't want t screw this up over something so simple...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Get the right stuff, or just buy the multipurpose (red can). That works on all of them (PVC, CPVC, ABS).

Reply to
gfretwell

Use PVC cement. CPVC comes in two types. A one step and two step type where you need a CPVC cleaner.

Reply to
Oyabun

Aah. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Huh. I didn't kow CPVC came in two types. I must have the one step type. Thanks for the info.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but what does the can say? When in doubt, read the directions... :)

In any case, a small can of dedicated CPVC cement is cheap, and not worth risking possible complications. If your can of PVC cement is old, it's probably gelled by now anyway.

Regardless of which cement you use, remember to clean the pipe and fitting first with the purple "primer".

Good luck,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Why purple primer?

RicodJour

or clear primer. They just dye it purple for the inspector ... same stuff. Do use the primer tho. There is not 2 kinds of pipe or 2 kinds of cement, only 2 kinds of plumbers. Ones who do a good job and those who skip a step and have to do it over after they clean up after the flood.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ok.. question... at what point does PVC cement go bad and not perform well in "welding" a PVC joint. Obviousy if it is so hardened that it won't coat the PVC, then it is bad. But what if it is just a bit gelled (as in a little thick) but still is able to give a nice liquid coating to the PVC? Will it still be just as strong?

I only occasionally end up using PVC so the cement and primer can end up sitting around my basement for years. I do a good job of sealing the cans tightly and then put them in air-tight plastic bags, so the stuff does seem to stay fresh longer than one might expect -- on principal, I hate to throw things out, but obviously, I would if needed for an optimum weld.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
blueman

Obviously, the color doesn't matter, but around here (WA state) the purple primer is what you typically find in the home centers. I haven't seen clear primer in years.

PVC/CPVC primer is usually purple. CPVC cement is usually orange. PVC cement is usually clear (or blue). ABS cement is usually black.

The color primarily lets you (and the inspector) see at a glance what type of glue was used and whether or not the primer was used.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I have used slightly gelled PVC cements in non-critical situations (outdoor lines, or other easily accessable locations) and they seem to work fine as long as you can get a good coating around the pipe and fitting.

However, if I'm joining a pipe that will be embedded in a wall or otherwise covered up, I wouldn't take the risk for the small cost of a new can of cement.

Once you open the can, you let air in that will let the cement start gelling. For that reason, I usually buy two or three of the smallest cans instead of the large cans. I use what I need for the current project, then keep the unopened cans for those spur of the moment plumbing tasks.

Also, if you discover the cement has gelled a few years later, it's less wasteful to lose part of a small can than part of a larger can.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

HerHusband wrote: ...

... Mostly it serves to let the applicator quickly know they covered the joint entirely.

--

Reply to
dpb

Unless I have one big project going on I buy the smallest can available because they go bad pretty quick once you open them. I usually keep a few new small cans around, just so I have a fresh one if I am fixing something I want to stay fixed. Three bucks is nothing compared to a flood.

Reply to
gfretwell

Weld-on says this: "Yes. CPVC solvent cement technically will work on PVC piping. However, we recommend that the correct Weld-On primer and PVC solvent cement for the particular application should be used. Please note that PVC solvent cement, because of temperature limitations, is not recommended for CPVC piping."

Oatey, on the other hand, is non-committal. But I suspect that CPVC cement will be OK on PVC, as Weld-on says. On the other hand, Weld-on also says above that PVC cement should not be used with CPVC pipe, but "because of temperature limitations" .. this means that for cold water, it just might be OK too.

And, from what I read online, it seems that if you happen to need to join CPVC and PVC stuff, you could use CPVC cement to do this. YMMV, I'm not an expert with any of this stuff, however.

Reply to
pjay337

Wow. More than 10 years ago I used PVC cement on CPVC pipe if I recall. If the pipes fit I glue them, no?

Reply to
Oren

I think using CPVC cement on PVC is safer than using regular PVC cement on CPVC. CPVC is PVC with higher chlorine content and can be used at higher temperatures. OTOH both cements contain similar solvents which will cause either pipe to bond so it should not be a big problem.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Agreed on drain pipes...prolly doesn't matter much. Oatey has a combo glue that works on both.

OTOH, on pressure or hot water pipes I'd use proper CPVC pipe, CPVC fittings and CPVC glue.

Calhoun J. Catfish

I am reading that CPVC comes in standard Schedule 40/80 sizes (same sizes as PVC) as well as Copper Tube Sizes (CTS). Home Depot apparently carries some smaller dimensions of CPVC, to be used, for instance, as hot water pipe in home installations.

So many choices. That's a good thing if you know what you're doing.

Reply to
PJBeee