ebay economics

I've ordered a 16mm thick USB stick on eBay. Advertised cost 99p; charged £1.

It is not the penny, though. It is more how can anyone other than Royal Mail make anything on this deal - and maybe not even Royal Mail?

Coming from Southall in a couple of days.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Some years back (when Nokia 3300 phones were still around), I bought a charger for one- the kind you clip the battery into and plug the wall wart into.

It was 1p plus 99p postage. I think in those days, EBay didn?t charge sellers fees on postage.

First time I plugged it in, smoke came out.

I Emailed the seller, a replacement turned up a few days later. No fuss.

I?ve had things from China which, on investigation, cost far more to post back by Royal Mail than I paid for them - including postage from China. If you insist sellers pay return postage for faulty goods they just refund the original money as, often it is cheaper.

Reply to
Brian

I had to pay me energy supplier sixty seven pence recently. The online process would not accept an amount less than one pound. By the time I wrote a check and sent it or drove (nearest bank is about ten miles) to a bank I paid the pound it was going to cost me more than thirty three pence and my account is now thirty three pence in credit. At the time I wondered if it was a limitation of the payment systems (e.g. Visa) but I think that during the height of the pandemic I paid for items costing pennies with my debit card.

Is there an online limitation for one pound?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Maybe it's really coming from China, whose government subsidises the postage.

Reply to
Max Demian

I think it's us who are subsidising the postage. It's to do with some international postal union agreement.

Reply to
GB