Tiny brass crimps?

Need a source for a few tiny brass crimps for repairs to a kettle. The originals are about 4.5mm long and crushed down to about 2mm x

1mm. Used for connections from the element terminals to a resistor and neon lamp.

Background: This was a "Which Best Buy" kettle. The first failed in a week, leaking water from the bottom because base seal was not filtted properly. This was replaced by the retailer. The replacement lasted nearly two months before the flash/bang at switch-on. Turned out to be bad design or assembly, as the switch movement caused heatshrink insulation on the live lead to fray against a metal support. A glassfibre sleeve that possibly /should/ have protected it was not in the correct position. Or the metal support was positioned wrongly.

Pictures at:-

Geo

See if any of the easily available pre-insulated types look about right. You can remove the insulation and are left with a bare brass crimp, which you could cut to length.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Take it back again, ASDA should check what's wrong and recall them if it a common problem or a poor design. If people don't take them back they will never know there is a problem.

Reply to
dennis

Not clear if this is the second kettle at 2 months old or a replacement for that. But if two examples had failed within a normal warranty period, I'd have got my money back and got a better one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used chocblocks, with plastic removed of course. The pictures tell me nothing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd solder a new piece of wire and resistor in and heatshrink over the lot - and keep the fibreglass sleeve in the right place. I'm not over happy with the way that the bit of bare wire is being used as a support - I think I'd put heatshrink over the end of that too, to give less chance of the insulation wearing through again.

Reply to
mick

Agreed, kettle should be cool enough to use solder, but you do need to use crimps in electric irons. DAMHIK!

Reply to
newshound

I'd buy a length of thin brass tube from eBay or a model shop (2mm ID?), cut a short length off it with stout wire cutters, and use that. If you are careful you can similarly crimp using the wire cutters, but don't quote me.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I was worried about soldering as I thought there were crimps at the end of the wires right on the element connections. This was wrong - the wires were terminated in crimps as used in Molex KK sockets so I had some in stock already. The crimps either side of the resistor could probably have been soldered but I was reminded that there was a length of model-making brass tube "somewhere". Found, cut down and crimped with wire cutters.

The kettle(s) had already cost two round trips to Asda several miles away so case of diminishig returns...

Reply to
Geo

You need high temperature nickel crimps for heating elements. I have used them for repairing toaster elements.

Spot welding would be even better, but I don't have one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel