OT: Ebay sale.

Sold some Matchbox models on Ebay. My brother is a keen collector so gave me some guide prices.
One, where the model was perfect and the box good - dunno when a box is ever perfect, but it wasn't torn or stained, but had obviously been opened a few times - sold for rather less than my brother's guide price lower figure and to a dealer. I charged 2.60 for P&P.
Got a pm from the buyer saying it had arrived and the box was damaged. I asked him for a pic of the damaged box. Got a second pm saying he couldn't be bothered doing this but would accept a refund of 6 quid and call it quits.
The car was wrapped in bubble wrap and a tight fit in the box. The box was wrapped in three layers of bubble wrap and in a decent jiffy bag. He said it should have been in a box - but would a box give any more protection?
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

I suspect with such "collectibles" the box may have associated value. The box is itself as attractive as the toy for certain old toys.
So yes a box would have given more protection. Use polyethylene foam sheet (1mm, 2mm) around stuff in future, then bubble wrap loose, then pad out with loose bubble in a larger box, tape the larger box to give some crush protection re "loads in a sack or wheeled crate". Assume 48" drop height, put it that way, with things dropped on top.
The really cheap bubble wrap sold in 500mm wide rolls on Ebay & SVP whilst "poor & thin" is ideal for bulking out boxes with light items. The costly bubble wrap is much heavier gauge polythene and more suited to heavier stuff. Recycle old boxes (worth keeping a couple in a shed, then dry off before taping up). TLC boxes are good for this.

IMHO, putting it in a box would have been better but the reality is that he is trying it on.
He can be bothered to email you a couple of times but not take a photo that would take him a minute to take and email, whatever!
No photo, no discussion/refund, simple.
Regards,

Having recently received a small piece of damaged test gear from Ebay that was wrapped in bubble wrap but only in a flimsy outer bag I'm sorry to say that a box would probably have been a better bet.
I have seen how couriers treat their packages, a decent 19" rack flight case might be a better choice next time!! :-)
If you don't feel happy throwing the package out of a 2nd storey window then it isn't packed well enough. A bit excessive, but you get the idea.
There again could well be the buyer is trying it on, proving it would be near impossible and if asked to return it for a full refund who is to say that he wouldn't deliberately damage it to prove his point? Have you checked his feedback to see if he has had similar "problems" before?
The joy of Ebay.....................
--
Bill
( A different one )

I had a lock delivered which had been wrapped in so much bubble wrap the parcel was nearly spherical. The post office had still managed to bend the forend at the bottom of the lock round by about 15 degrees - and this was a pecee of 5mm thick cast bronze... Putting things in a box not only gives a bit more protection, but can also make the damage more obvious - the parcel with the lock was not obviously damaged, as the bubble wrap had just recovered into its original position by the time I received it. As far as the OP's question is concerned - is there any chance of getting money back from the Post Office? If there is then some evidence will no doubt be required.
snipped-for-privacy@birchnet.demon.co.uk says...

I remember, many years ago, catching a train at Waterloo. I got on my train and sat watching a load of Mullard TV tubes being hurled out of the train on the opposite platform ...
(In boxes, obviously ...)
--

Terry

On 10/02/2012 02:41, Windmill wrote:

They don't call them baggage manglers for nothing!
SteveW

They are as nothing compared to the TSA goons in the USA. I sat at Heathrow watching a suitcase done up with duct tape slide down the luggage carousel, thinking "I wonder which poor bastard that belongs to?" Needless to say, it was mine. All done "for my own safety" apparently.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 50th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3178
Celebrate Chaoflux
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

scamming cnuts always say things like that.
Tell him no photo, no refund
I've got something like 250+ positive feedback on E-Bay and one negative. The negative one was a French thief who was doing something similar. I sold him an amplifier that had belonged to a late relative and he claimed that it hummed because some capacitors were knackered.
A quick bit of research showed that the capacitors in these things were known to degrade with age (he'd have known that, I didn't), and replacements cost about 6 or 8. He wanted about 40 back ISTR. Research of his feedback revealed he was very prone to suffer from items damaged in delivery and had got several partial refunds.
It didn't hum, he was a thief. I told him to return it if he wanted a refund. I got negative feedback. He's stopped trading under that ID.
On 08/02/2012 15:40, Onetap wrote:

You will never win with ebay, they favour the buyer. I have 3 accounts, one for selling, one for buying and my wife has one for clothes and books. The 3 combined have over 1800 positive feedback, I have slowly been clearing my loft, yet ebay have restricted all 3 accounts because about 6 people commented on high postage, yeah wrap them well and it can go against you, my wifes was restricted by association to mine (address?) What annoys me is we only ever put stuff on at 99p, ok we sometimes get bid more but its just for clearing out rather than go to the dump. Try selling a hardback cookbook within ebays postage limits!

Try using Amazon "sell one here".
Before the Nett Book Agreement ended I imported about 4,800 of technical & business books thro late 1990s. They should have been sold back out much more quickly than they were (within a year), but even 4-5yrs later I could still sell them after Amazon fees and postage costs for roughly what they cost me. A loss of about 200, which could have been a profit of 1000 had I turned them around a little quicker or avoided selling at the cheapest price every time.
Royal Mail prices are a lot different now than they were in the early 2000s, heavy "commodity books" will not recover much for example and "IT books" are best put in the bin or wood burner they depreciate so fast.
On 08/02/2012 16:17, ss wrote:

That's not my experience. Complaints against sellers are not taken seriously. Shill bidding is rife, and you get numerous "second chances" to buy items that the highest bidder fails to buy, funny that. Naturally at your highest bid. Also you receive spam from members which eBay refuse to do anything about.
Feedback is the only buyer oriented aspect.

That's never been my experience, but then I'm careful what I bid on and who I buy from.
MBQ
On 09/02/2012 12:04, Man at B&Q wrote:

<snip>
Not sure how you can make such judgements!
Example: I get spam from an eBay member. I got this reply when I complained:
"I apologise for the delay in responding. I understand the frustration of other member spamming you with emails. Please note that it is not possible to block emails from another member on eBay. However, you may be able to block the sender's incoming messages. This is a feature provided by most email service providers. Please consult the help section of your email service provider to find out how to block messages."
In other words we don't care if ebay members spam you, and we're not going to do anything about it.
On 09/02/2012 12:04, Man at B&Q wrote:

Another example:
I recently purchased 2 hard disks. Money removed from PayPal. The items are rather overdue and when I clicked on the eBay link in a "Thank you for purchasing..." email I get:
This listing (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has been removed, or this item is not available.
He's still trading, has my money and on phoning eBay I got told the average wait is 64 minutes!!
Standard fare for Ebay. Always say its damaged to see if you can get a refund under threat of a bad feedback. Brian
The plot thickens. It's getting like an episode of Hustle.
Ebay removed the negative feedback he'd left after seeing the pm he'd sent to be demanding a partial refund or he'd leave negative feedback.
He then opened a dispute with Paypal. Wanted a full refund on the grounds the goods were damaged. I'd already offered him this earlier. So of course I agreed - don't think you have an option. A parcel arrived from him - recorded delivery - and was empty apart from some packing materials and an empty sellotape reel. ;-)
As it happened it was opened it in front of two friends. As I guessed he'd pull some trick or other. I suspected the model would have been trashed - but not this...
I've reported all this to Ebay so will be interested to see what they do. I'm not that bothered about the money, but don't like attempted cons.
--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

That's fortunate, I had a guy threaten me with neg feedback if I didn't allow him to return some collectables I'd sold him for a full refund, which I wasn't inclined to do unless he provided photos of the damage first (I suspected he hadn't read the product description and had unrealistic expectations as to the state of the packaging) . It didn't help that the person, who was apparently English, didn't seem to have a very good grasp of the English language and kept sending me emails in unintelligible gibberish.
Anyway, because I refused to go along with his unreasonable demands he left me 3 negative marks, which I reported to Ebay for feedback extortion. Yet they allowed them to stand.
I think its a sad state of affairs when buyers are allowed to leave sellers bad feedback just for the hell of it, but the only feedback that sellers can leave for buyers is positive, or none at all. You can't even leave a buyer bad feedback if they don't pay, you can report them and get them a non-paying bidder strike, but you cannot give bad feedback to them to warn other sellers. This is clearly unfair and one of the things that has put me off using Ebay.
--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be aware that EVEN WITH FULL DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF POSTING RECEIPT AND ALL TRANSACTIONS, paypal 'refunded' over 400 quid to one customer who simply lied through his back teeth.