OT: Driving electric cars in winter

Yup.

Ok.

I bet.

Of course, unless we are also paying for the electricity you get from any solar panels on your car? ;-)

I know, I leaned that as a child when cycling.

Assuming you don't want the speed or don't have a speed-limiting head wind you mean (when you will also get no regen).

Is the regen on (electrical) braking or motor deceleration as well?

Other than the lights, heater, radio ...

Of course.

I only pushed it to the edge once on a run to the local hospital one lunchtime.

Going involved a reasonable hillclimb and being stuck behind a bus removed any hope I had of maintaining good inertia on the way out.

I managed to limp back to work and had enough charge by home time to get home ok.

This was all 25 years ago now ... I wonder if I've had an electric car longer than anyone else here?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do have a lot of HEP though.

Reply to
Clive George

High Energy Physics?

They obviously have a lunatic government - subsidies are always a bad idea as they mask the true cost of something.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Do you not go though the NHS for your meds then Tim? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So for 100% transport availability you have to have a conventional car.

Reply to
bert

So two cars needed.

Reply to
bert

Then why do they have electric sump heater sockets in the company car park in Helsinki?

They have special tyres with studs - but that's all.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Well sort if. Perhaps your memory doesn't stretch back to the days when road vehicles - motorised road vehicles - were quite rare, and te milk train and the post express rand overnight on the steam railways to get stuff to where it was needed in the mornings, and the coal train delivered coal to your local station, which is where the coal sales were. And every village had a butcher and a baker and a grocer and a green grocer and so on, because you needed to shop fresh every day locally because no one had a car to drive to town, or a refrigerator.

we still had 100% transport availability, it just wasn't the same transport.

And there we no supermarkets of any scale, because without cars, who would get to them?

Instead we had market towns and a high street. THAT was the supermarket.

If we HAD to ditch fossil fuel cars we COULD, but we would have to get used to a different way of travelling. And indeed living.

I suspect we would live at home, work at home and get stuff delivered to home, and not commute or make big journeys, and those would be via hired staged driverless vehicle - ring up 'jeeves' and order a car to go to Aberdeen - no problem. Car turns up, travels to depot, gets battery exchanged, travels to trains station, gets loaded on to car-train, where it gets charged as it whizzes up a 500 miles at high speed, car trundles off at other end, and you stop watching telly, and realise you are now in fact not off the edge of the world, but merely in Scotland...and it just feels that way.

Supermarkets now either dead or integrated with railway stations and driverless car depots.

*shrug* the Victorians would be gob-smacked at the way we live now. No doubt we would be gob-smacked if we correctly second guessed the way economics will drive society, if or when fossil fuel gets too expensive to waste on just burning it for fuel.

There are many many ways in which all electric transport could be made to work, but none are currently remotely competitive with a fuel car, unless heavily subsidised, and even then they have severe disadvantages.

But then the same can be true of many things. It is an inherent fact of systems in a relatively free economy that choices tend to be almost binary. The moment cars were more cost effective than horses, horses vanished in only about 20 years at the most.

Coal powered railways destroyed the canals in a similar timescale.

The jet engine replaced piston engines for aircraft in probably less than 15 years.

In every case not completely, but in such a large majority of cases it became the 'standard'.

At a given point fossil fuel will start to get so scarce that the cost of a lovely ubiquitous car will exceed the cost of renting or hiring a driverless electric car, and people will just stop buying fuel cars.

Or maybe the Internet and robotics and virtual reality will be so advanced we don't need to travel anywhere, just log into work from our bedrooms...

I am sure a Victorian would ask us 'why we need to get to Aberdeen in a day in our own vehicle?' They didn't. The world did not stop.

New technology is disruptive. Always. the history of industrial society is the replacement of whole ways of life with new ways of life. I dont think our car owning road based lifestyle will last another hundred years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And about 40% of our gas comes from Norway. Its the European country with the most oil under its seas. And does the most oil exploration

...just to highlight the general level of ignorance..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To us Helsinki is really cold, but there are places way colder than that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which Norway is currently extracting at a loss.

I'm not aware of any new offshore exploration?

Reply to
Fredxxx

On my particular car (Mitsubishi I-MIEV) the regen is adjustable by means of a lever. This is for hilly. town or open road driving. The regen slows the car and puts power backin to the battery. In practice, if you have the right lever position you never need touch the brakes except for completely stopping. Lifting off the pedal progressively slows the car by regenerative braking.

So I reckonI will never have to change the brake pads, they awere barely bedded in after 10.000 miles

The electric traction/control system part of the car is wonderful. The from rest acceleration is excellent, few car can keep up with it.

It's a pretty shit handling car and I dislike the electric power steering. The interior is cheap and nasty. Is has a very nice radio. Very manouverable in confined spaces. Not a car for motorways.

Reply to
harry

(/ Peugeot iOn / Citroen C-Zero)

I'm guessing we (the tax payers?) gave you the full five thousand pounds towards it's (£25+k) purchase (along with paying for the electricity you use in it of course)?

I expect we paid for or towards your home charging point as well (75% / £900)? ;-)

Where you might have some gravity induced, stop start or higher speed deceleration to take advantage (although I don't suppose the stop-start bit does much).

I know. ;-)

Ok.

You just mean 'lifting off', not 'lifting up past the std up position'? So is there a dead band when you apply the accelerator that would be the regen part (proportionally up to whatever is set on the other lever)?

Ok.

Having no gears and loads of torque low down, so it should be.

Even my Moke was pretty quick off the mark if you wanted (at the cost of some range of course).

I think the focus would have been 'making it run the best they can for a shopping car'. There are electric sport and even racing cars of course.

Or even electric dragster motorbikes:

Maybe cars come with that these days I think.

Shopping car.

A battery powered radio in fact. ;-)

Shopping car.

Shopping car (Not that there is anything wrong with that of course).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If that point was free and you could get near it of course;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I did notice that both the spaces in a council operated car park that are allocated for electric cars to connect up to the charge point installed last year were both in use. Can't be too long before somebody has to wait. Then I suppose there will be calls for more charge points and allocated spaces so that will be less space for normally fuelled vehicles.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Presumably they have to pay (I nearly said 'presumably there's a charge'!). How does that work? Plastic in a slot, I imagine.

Too many of them and the grid won't cope.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In Glasgow the parking and electricity was free until they had a problem with folk abusing the free parking and leaving their cars in the bays all day. They're now charged city centre rates for the parking but the electricity is still "free".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think there are four charging rates offered and whilst most places could support a few 13A / 3kW points, I think many would need a supply upgrade to be able to support more than one or two of the higher level ones (~50kW).

Then that leads to an increase of demand for electricity in times when supply isn't great anyway? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

e in winter. How do you heat the car up and demist windows, I should imagin e it reduces your mileage considerably if it has to done electrically? I be lieve the batteries give off some heat and perhaps some heat from the motor /s can be harvested but I cannot see it compares to using the coolant syste m in a petrol or diesel car. Heat as opposed to sound insulation might help . Is it a case of wrap up well and stick your flying helmet on?

Just got an email rgarding this. Self-heating Li-Ion battery

whisky-dave

Looks like a right jumble atm.

Quite, especially a grid that is already being pushed to it's limits. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m