OT: Driving electric cars in winter

A thing that has always puzzled me about electric cars is how do they cope in winter. How do you heat the car up and demist windows, I should imagine it reduces your mileage considerably if it has to done electrically? I beli eve the batteries give off some heat and perhaps some heat from the motor/s can be harvested but I cannot see it compares to using the coolant system in a petrol or diesel car. Heat as opposed to sound insulation might help. Is it a case of wrap up well and stick your flying helmet on?
Richard

I remember seeing at a motor show years ago a paraffin heater that can be built into the heating system of HGVs so lorry drivers can keep their cabs warm when the driver is parked overnight, without needing to leave the engine idling.
I wonder if a similar system could be built into electric cars, so you need to top that up with paraffin every so often and keep the batteries only for the motors and lights.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:36:42 +0000, NY wrote:

Webasto heaters. (Other makes are available).
They've been around for donkeys, and usually work on diesel from the main tank - but petrol are available, too. They're often fitted to motorhomes.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:44:40 +0000 (UTC)

The same people who made my sunroof many years ago?
--
Davey.

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:46:16 +0000, Davey wrote:

Yep.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:23:43 +0000 (UTC)

And very good it was too. One of the best investments I made.
--
Davey.

Used on canal boats too, usually rather heavily criticised for noise and unreliability.
--
Chris Green
·

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:41:53 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

We used to use a small half sphere shaped catalytic heater that ran off a liquid fuel of some sort. It was typically used under the (pretty well ventilated) canvas 'hood' of our small motor cruiser, just to provide a source of flameless heat during the colder evenings.
I've no idea how safe it was by today's Elf n Safety rules but we are still here. ;-)
I did find a report on the gas powered catalytic heaters and that seems to suggest you are more likely to die from oxygen starvation than the fumes as such.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/103972/CO03.pdf
I wonder how that might compare with a liquid fuel based versions (but not like the liquefied gas some soldering irons use).
I think you had to start this particular heater with meths so best done outside and on the land?
Cheers, T i m
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:36:42 -0000

Mental image of Biggles pouring paraffin into his Nissan Leaf..... and then setting fire to it!
--
Davey.

You would need to be careful in designing such a device due to the fact that you may need it to operate on the move, and the fuel slosh and the naked flame might be an issue. I did wonder if something might be done using the same system as in those gass heated rollers etc, which use some form of catalyst to use methane without a flame. brian

--
----- -
On 31/01/16 10:01, Brian Gaff wrote:

My car already has a fuel burning heater that heats the cooling water in winter to reduce warm up times. It seems that the fuel saved by getting the engine warm quickly is about the same as the fuel burnt to get it that way ...
Fun when they dont work...properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txo_bvRd6rM

private property.

ROFL!
Er... why is it any easier to run that than to just run the engine?

--
Mrs. Culpepper was almost in tears. "Oh Marie," she said to her maid, "I have reason to suspect that my husband is having an affair with his secretary."
"I don't believe it for one minute." Marie snapped. "You're just saying that to make me jealous."
On 08/02/2016 01:32, Mr Macaw wrote:

Because you can have an FBH linked to a timer so that it pre-heats the car while you are still in bed.
SteveW

Why not start the engine on a timer?
--
The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.

In this country (the Uk) I believe it is illegal to have a vehicle on the public highway with it's engine running and especially when unoccupied.
"Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988,"
The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."
And regulation 107, which makes it an offence to leave an engine running in an unattended vehicle except in certain prescribed circumstances. (Quitting).
http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2003/04/16936/21249
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504888/Driver-fined-leaving-engine-running-car-defrosted-outside-home.html
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 23:40:52 +0000

Plenty of cars in the northern US and Canada have a remote starter option, operated from the key fob. Very useful it can be, too.
--
Davey.

So I understand, except, in those places most people have plenty of space and can keep their cars on their drives?

Essential in some extremes (sump and fuel heaters etc).
Cheers, T i m

The only time I've come across remote start on a hire car in the US it was invaluable for giving the A/C a couple of minutes "head start" before you entered the car on a hot day.
Tim
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 18:18:19 -0000 (UTC)
snip

On the rare occasions when I used it, and my last car there had it as standard, it was to get the chill off the circulating air when it was bloody cold. Some people would use it to get everything nice and toasty.
--
Davey.

On Monday, 15 February 2016 16:30:55 UTC, T i m wrote:

My (electric) car has a device to remotely turn the heating/AC on while the car is parked. No engine to be run of course. So quite legal.