[Poss OT] Freeview in High Definition

Bought a new Samsung TV recently. It comes with 2 x Freeview tuners (DVB-T2).

We use Sky, but as I already run a cable to this room when rewiring the house a couple of years ago I thought I would put a socket for the aerial behind the TV.

Well today we had to use it as the storm had damaged the dish on the roof, and the sky engineer is not coming to fix it until Monday.

I plugged in the aerial cable, all the channels are there, but the picture is in standard definition, not in HD (same all channels).

Am I missing anything? Do I need a new aerial on the roof?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Did you watch e.g. BBC1 (on channel1) or BBC1-HD (on channel 101)?

normally not, but it could be that the HD mux is out of band for your aerial, what channels with "HD" in their name does your EPG show?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm pretty sure 'no'.

Are you sure the tuners are Freeview HD?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oops! Never used Freeview before and was unaware that the HD channels were at 100+x...

Many thanks!

Reply to
JoeJoe

As a matter of interest, since your question has been answered, why two tuners?

This is only normally done with a PVR, so you can record one thing while watching another.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do some of these TVs have a facility to add an external hard drive, thus turning them into PVRs?

Plus don't some people have two programmes display at the same time. PIP. (I sometimes get that on my PVR if I press the wrong button! )

Reply to
GB

Mine does, but is only single-tuner.

Reply to
Adrian

No idea to be honest...

BTW, it also has 2 x Freesat tuners.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I was going to say that. I did a homebrew external drive for our Samsung TV. Works well, but it's only got one tuner so you can't watch one programme and record another. Think I'll get a Roku box soon.

The HDD is useful for pausing a programme when someone interrupts you (tip: pause the programme at the start so you can rewind a bit at the first interruption) or for short term recording. For longer time shifting I use get_iplayer.

Reply to
Bob Eager