OT: Driving electric cars in winter

So you had to fill up twice?!

I used to love annoying the forecourt owners by filling up with LPG and petrol at the same time. One refused to believe I'd used both pumps and said it was impossible, so I gave up arguing and paid for only one!

Odd, I had a CRV and had no problem at all. So either you're rubbish at parking correctly, or you have shorter hoses. I find that hard to believe as I've used all the makes of fuel.

What is the point in locking a filler cap? Nobody steals petrol ffs, and they can't anyway due to a bend in the pipe or something. People complain when they can't empty their own tank when they scrap the car, or they need a bit out to give to someone else or a lawnmower.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The front discs were inboard and behind the dashboard. Doddle to change the pads.

You took out the heater ductwork immediately under the windscreen in the engine compartment. And the pads were right there in front of you, on each side of the differential. Just a couple of cotter pins to remove. No need to jack up or remove wheels.

Reduced unsprung load and kept them right away from the weather.

The rear pads were pigs. Disc always rusted up if you never had passengers in the back.

Reply to
harry

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 11:21:11 -0000, charles wr= ote:

My Honda CRV 1999 had the filler on the right, righ hand drive, don't kn= ow where it was made.

-- =

Seen on a tap in a Finnish washroom: To stop the drip, turn c*ck to right.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Probably swapped something over but not something else, like the dials unit.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In article , Mr Macaw writes

Very unlikely. Standard practice for LPG conversions was to leave the petrol side in place. Indeed most conversions had to have petrol to start up. I'll write this off as your usual horse shit.

Reply to
bert

Accelerating and braking at once is stupid. One subtracts from the other. In fact my Golf cut the gas if I pressed the brake at the same time.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That doesn't require doing both at once. You either want to slow the car down, or speed it up.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I'd fix the throttle cable. Or if that happened unexpectedly, simply move my right foot to the brake (which is just as quick as moving my left foot from the floor to the brake, in fact I'd say faster).

I've never thought of a go-kart as the same vehicle as a car. Bicycles, motorbikes, go-karts, and cars, all require different controls, but I've never mixed them up.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It is if you don't have ABS.

Only on a race track for that little bit extra speed.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If you press both pedals at once, the car should only brake. The throttle will disconnect.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

And so was he. He was saying left feet tend to be more clumsy and press harder.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Doesn't require, but does make it more convenient to do that.

Reply to
Sam Crean

The accelerator is automatically disabled when you brake.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Explain in more detail. In a tight space, you reverse, stop, go forward, stop, etc. At what point do you need to speed up and slow down at once? (Hint: this would break the laws of physics).

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You don't do that. You move forward or back using the accelerator and stop it more accurately when you have one foot on the accelerator and another on the brake and can let it creep forward with some pressure on the accelerator and brake at the same time.

No.

Reply to
Sam Crean

You have obviously never driven an automatic otherwise you wouldn't make yourself appear so stupid.

Reply to
bert

In article , Sam Crean writes

You are wasting your time with this d*****ad Sam

Reply to
bert

Because you never need to slow down and speed up at the same time, it's against the laws of physics, and the car will prevent you from doing so anyway by disconnecting the throttle (either to correct your mistake, save gas, stop you wearing out the brakes, or let you come to a halt quicker, not sure which).

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Not on any of my vehicles past or present it isn't

Reply to
bert

You thought you were pressing the clutch? But the clutch position is just empty floor space. I think I tried to operate the clutch in an auto once, I just stamped my foot on the carpet. No harm done.

Reply to
Mr Macaw