OT driving and watching a video on dashboard

I had to go somewhere I don't know today and used my satnav, but just as a test, when on a long road, I tried checking the names of the roads I passed, as you would when navigating by A-Z. Every damned one of them had only one sign and that was on the wrong side for me, meaning I could only see them by virtually stopping and looking right round behind me - not good on a busy, city centre main road.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Hah. I'm sure he loves getting his brains picked on obscure law, whenever he's got a free moment.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Its getting him for a free moment, as he commutes he's off at the crack of dawn and home at some ungodly hour;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I see that quite a lot. I fail to see why it would be particularly distracting to the driver behind.

I was once behind a coach carrying a ladies hockey team who were "Getting them out for the lads". That was distracting.

Reply to
Graham.

Apart from the fact that there's still 'driving without due care and attention'...

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Coincidentally, this came up on the 'Traffic Cops' programme on Dave last night.

The traffic cops stopped behind a car that had been emitting clouds of oil smoke, due to oil spilling over the exhaust. Whilst the driver was rummaging under the bonnet (they had made no effort to stop him opening the bonnet) they noticed his kids in the car were watching a DVD screen in the middle of the dashboard.

They said something to the effect that it was in the Road Traffic acts and could result in driving without due C&A or dangerous driving charges.

The driver said the kids had only switched it on when he'd stopped. The cops hadn't seen it on whilst the car was moving, due to the smoke, so they let it pass.

They did him for his unapproved number plates (he'd been warned before) and something else on his blinged up motor.

Reply to
Onetap

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 09:17 Onetap wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I should hope so - otherwise I could get busted for using my smartphone as a GPS, because it could also play videos.

Good...

Reply to
Tim Watts